Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0x800f0986?
Hi. Usually, I have no problems with Windows updates. However, I recently can't seem to install KB5003173, as I always receive an error 0x800f0986. It would be nice to find a way to fix this. Thanks in advance.
Windows update errors might not only cause operation problems due to bugs but also render the device more vulnerable to cyberattacks. Since the operating system is shipped with automatic updates turned on, most people keep this feature, although a failed update should cause concern.
Microsoft ships updates every second Tuesday of every month – they include important bug fixes and provide additional features and improvements. Windows update error 0x800f0986 is not a new phenomenon, users have experienced for years now, and it stops them from receiving the latest vulnerability patches or UI improvements regularly.
There are myriad other error codes that people might encounter when trying to update Windows, including 0x8024ce0e, 0x800f0900, 0x800f0247, etc. While many of such issues can go away by themselves within a few hours or days, some people are unable to update their devices for weeks or even months.
First of all, if you experienced the error for the first time, you should wait some time and try running the update process once again. In some cases, Windows servers might be suffering from overload or other technical issues, or your internet connection might be unstable.
Unfortunately, this advice does not help most people to fix the 0x800f0986 error. Most users who encountered this error were running Windows version 1909, although it seems like the issue prevails in older or newer versions of the OS. While one of the most effective methods to fix this problem is by using Media Creation Tool, there are several other things you can try before that.
First of all, we recommend you run a scan with PC repair software FortectMac Washing Machine X9 – it can fix various underlying problems automatically within just a few minutes. It will check your system and ensure that everything is running how it is supposed to, so you might not have to go through the tedious troubleshooting steps below.
Method 1. Run Windows update troubleshooter
- Type Troubleshoot in Windows search and hit Enter
- On the right side of the window, click Additional troubleshooters
- Select Windows Update and click Run the troubleshooter
- Once done, apply all the suggested fixes and restart your machine.
Method 2. Check relevant services
- Type in Services in Windows search and hit Enter
- Scroll down to Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and double-click it
- Under the Startup type section, click on the dropdown menu and pick Automatic, then click on Start, Apply and OK
- Now do the same with Windows Update Service
- If these services were already running, right-click on each of them and select Restart
- Finally, reboot your PC.
Method 3. Use SFC and DISM
- Type cmd in Windows search
- Right-click on Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator
- Paste the following command into the new window:
- Press Enter and wait till the scan is finished
- Once done, run this set of commands, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Restart your PC.
Method 4. Install updates manually
You can try installing the update yourself. Follow these steps:
- Type Update in Windows search and press Enter
- Go to View update history
- Here, you will find the list of updates which were installed, as well as those that failed
- Note the KB number (for example, KB5003173) next to the 0x800f0986 error code
- Open your browser and go to Microsoft Update Catalog
- Copy and paste the relevant KB number into the search box and press Search
- Here, find the correct version of the update for your operating system (to check this, right-click on Start and pick System. Under Device specifications and check the System type)
- Click Download and proceed with on-screen instructions
- Once installed, reboot the system.
Method 5. Reset Windows update components
- Open Command Prompt (Admin) as explained above
- Copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter each time:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Press Win + E to open File Explorer
- Go to the following locations and delete the contents of these folders:
- Open Command Prompt again and paste these command lines:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Restart your system.
Method 6. Fix socket errors via Command Prompt
Winsock holds all the information related to your internet connectivity. If some of the settings get corrupted, separate data packets might not be downloaded correctly, which would fail the download process with an error. You can reset these settings as follows:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Type the following command and press Enter:
netsh winsock reset
- Restart your PC.
Method 7. Use Media Creation tool
If none of the solutions above worked for you, you should try using the Windows Media Creation tool. It is very easy to use, and it helped most people resolve Windows update errors quickly.
- Go to the official Microsoft website and download Media Creation Tool
- Double-click the installer, agree to terms and click Next
- Select Upgrade this PC now > Next
- Windows should now download and install all the necessary files
- Your system will restart and the operation complete.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.