Issue: How to Fix Windows Update Error 80070490?
Windows Update process is stopped by an error code 80070490. Could someone help?
You must have noticed that IT forums are full of questions related to Windows Update errors, in particular Windows 10 errors. While Windows 10 is a great OS on the whole, there are lots of things to be worked on, isn’t it? Recently we’ve noticed that one of the errors that have been bothering people from the beginning of Windows 10 release hasn’t been resolved yet and keeps showing up for people who attempt to run Windows 10 Updates. That’s an error code 80070490, which occurs when people are trying to run Windows updates and freezes the things up. According to Microsoft, this bug is related to CBS (Component Based Servicing) files. CBS is responsible for running the updates, so if its files are damaged or corrupted in some way, Windows updates cannot run accordingly. Luckily, there are some things that you can do to resolve this issue. The fixes listed below can be applied for all Windows versions, so don’t wait for a miracle and fix 80070490 error by yourself without a delay.
How to Fix Windows Update Error 80070490?
To start fixing 80070490 error, we would recommend you to restore the system to the previous build since the changes that you have recently initiated might have influenced the performance of Windows and may have added some points to the 80070490 error code emergence. Thus, to get started, perform the following steps:
- Right-Click on My Computer (This PC on Windows 10) and select Properties.
- After that, opt for System Protection.
- Navigate to System Properties (System Restore on Windows 10) and click Create.
- Enter the name for the restore point and click Create.
This will help you in case you perform some steps in the wrong way and want to go back to the starting point. Now you can start performing 80070490 error code fixes.
Solution 1. Install SURP
SURP is a System Update Readiness Tool developed by Microsoft. You just have to access official Microsoft’s website and download the tool that has been developed for the type of your OS (Windows 7, 8, 8.1, etc.). If running SURP did not help to fix 80070490 error, then try to use the methods indicated down below.
Solution2. Perform a SFC scan
As we have noted, 80070490 bug is usually triggered by corrupt CBS files. Therefore, the most comprehensive way to fix these files would be to run a sfc scan. Thus, do the following:
- Go to Start menu and type cmd.
- Right-click on the first option from the search menu and select Run as Administrator.
- In the run dialogue box, type SFC/scannow command and press Enter.
- Once the system finishes the scan, you should receive a notification. There are three possible conclusions that Windows may come up with. If any system violations are found, the only thing you have to do is to close Command Prompt window.
- If you have received a notification saying “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them”, it means that you have nothing else to do. The things have been fixed and you should try running the updates one more time.
- Lastly, if you have been informed that “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files, but could not repair them”, you should enter the following command in the Command Prompt window, hit Enter, and wait for a while until the system fixes the problems:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image/ RestoreHealth
Solution 3. Install Media Creation Tool
- Go to the Microsoft’s website and find Media Creation Tool Download.
- Click Download Tool option and then perform the following steps.
- When the ISO file is downloaded, right-click on it, and select Run as Administrator.
- On the first window opened, click Accept.
- After that, click Upgrade this PC now and Next.
- If you are upgrading for the first time, you will have to enter the Product License Key.
- Click on Change option and select what data you want to keep on your machine (Keep personal files and apps, Keep personal files only, or Nothing).
- Finally, select Install.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: