Issue: How to fix Windows update standalone installer error 0x800b0101?
Hey. I tried to install a pending update via the Windows Update Standalone installer, and I received an error 0x800b0101. Please help me resolve this if that's possible.
Windows updates can include multiple components in them – updates for security, features, and built-in elements such as PowerShell. Some of these components can be downloaded in a preview build, but they are only available within the Insider program. Nonetheless, it seems like people are getting the 0x800b0101 update error in both cases.
The issues with outdated Windows elements might not necessarily be apparent, but it all comes down to the security and stability of the system. While preview builds would definitely not affect these aspects, major update releases would. Thus, finding ways how to fix the 0x800b0101 error is rather important – better sooner than later.
Users are receiving this error when they are trying to use Windows Standalone installer, and the message reads as follows:
Installer encountered an error: 0x800b0101
A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.
Errors such as this one point directly to what is causing the problem – the validity of certain certificates within the system. The reasons for this issue to occur are, unfortunately, several so there can't be a universal fix that works for everybody. For example, system file corruption or missing update components might be the reason why you encounter the issue.
How to fix Windows update standalone installer error 0x800b0101?
In this article, we will provide several methods that should help you fix the error once and for all. Go through the steps one by one and you'll find the solution that would work for you. Before you proceed with manual fixes, we recommend you run a scan with an automatic PC repair tool FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that would find and replace damaged system components for you. It can be also useful for later if you have to deal with BSODs, missing DLLs, registry issues, and similar errors.
Method 1. Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows update troubleshooter can find common issues that might result in the occurrence of error 0x800b0101, so we recommend running it as a first measure.
- Right-click on Start and select Settings
- Pick Update & Security
- Select Troubleshoot
- If you can't see troubleshooters listed on the right, click Additional troubleshooters
- Locate Windows Update and click Run the troubleshooter.
Method 2. Run SFC and DISM
To fix corrupted files, please refer to the following:
- Type cmd in Windows search
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- When the User Account Control shows up, click Yes
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error or nothing was found, use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Method 3. Check your time and date settings
The error message claims that the validity period of certain certificates might be expired. To address this, make sure that your time and date are properly synchronized and correct:
- Type in Control Panel in Windows search and press Enter
- Go to Clock and Region and click on Date and Time
- Pick the Internet Time tab and select Change Settings
- Make sure that Synchronize with an Internet time server box is ticked
- Click Update now and OK.
Method 4. Remove expired certificates
The problem could be caused by one of the expired certificates. You can go through the list of the installed certificates and remove the outdated ones as follows:
- Type inetcpl.cpl in Windows search and hit Enter
- Go to the Content tab and click Certificates
- Go through all the tabs at the top (Personal, Other People, etc.) by checking the expiration date on all of them
- Select the expired certificate and click Remove below
- Reboot the system and check if that helped.
Method 5. Download the update manually
In some cases, you could download and install the update manually through Microsoft Update Catalog. In particular, you might want to find and install updates KB2756872 and KB2749655.
Note: this solution only works for Windows 8 users.
- Open your browser and go to the official Microsoft Update Catalog webpage
- Here, type in the KB2756872 into the search box and click Search
- Find the appropriate version and click Download
- Follow on-screen instructions to install the update and then do the same with KB2749655
- Once done, restart the system.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.