Issue: How to fix WordPad not opening in Windows?
Hello. The WordPad application is not opening on my Windows PC. How do I fix this?
WordPad is a simple text editor that comes with Windows operating systems. It offers users a simple and user-friendly interface for creating and editing text documents. However, users may experience problems with WordPad not opening or functioning properly in some cases.
WordPad is intended to handle plain text and rich text formats, and it allows users to perform basic formatting tasks such as changing font styles, sizes, and colors. It includes features such as spell checking, find and replace, and the ability to insert objects such as images and tables into documents. While WordPad lacks the advanced features found in more powerful word processing software, it is an excellent choice for quick editing tasks.
When WordPad fails to open on a Windows system, users who rely on the application for basic text editing may be inconvenienced and frustrated. This issue may prevent users from efficiently accessing and editing their documents. It has the potential to disrupt workflows and reduce productivity, particularly for people who frequently work with text files.
WordPad may not open or function properly for a variety of reasons. It could be due to a corrupted program installation, conflicts with other applications or system files, or problems with user permissions. It's also possible that the WordPad executable file is damaged or missing, which would cause the problem.
In this guide, you will find 3 steps that should help you fix WordPad not opening in Windows. However, you can also try a maintenance tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Scan for Malware
It is possible that a malware infection may be the cause of WordPad not opening in Windows. It is important to run a comprehensive security scan to rule out this possibility and ensure that the computer is not infected. This can help to prevent further issues with the Windows operating system and ensure that it is functioning properly.
If you have access to a security scanner, or if your organization pays for one, you can use it to scan your entire system to check for a virus infection. Otherwise, you can use Windows Defender to scan your system:
- Click on the Windows Start menu or press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Type Microsoft Defender in the search bar and click on Microsoft Defender Antivirus to open the application.
- Click on the Virus & threat protection option in the left-hand menu.
- Click on the Quick scan or Full scan option, depending on your preference.
- If you choose Quick scan, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will scan the most vulnerable and commonly infected areas of your computer.
- If you choose Full scan, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will scan your entire computer, including all files, folders, and programs.
- Click on the Scan now button to start the selected scan type and wait for the scan to complete.
- The time it takes will depend on the size of your hard drive and the number of files being scanned.
- Once the scan is complete, you will be informed of any detected threats, and you can choose to quarantine or remove them.
- If no threats are found, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will inform you that your device is secure.
Solution 3. Start WordPad from the Installation Folder
- Navigate to the following path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows NT\Accessories\
- Look for the file named WordPad.exe.
- Double-click on WordPad.exe to run it.
- If necessary, choose to run WordPad as an administrator by right-clicking on WordPad.exe and selecting Run as administrator.
- Once WordPad is launched, locate the files you want to open with WordPad.
- Select the file you want to edit and open it with WordPad.
- Begin editing the file using the WordPad interface.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.