Issue: How to fix “You don’t have permission to save in this location” error on Windows?
Each time I try to save files in any folder, Desktop, Documents, Pictures, OneDrive or anything else, I get an error that claims “You don’t have permission to save in this location,” etc. I’m offered to save in an alternative folder, but even if I try to do so, the same error shows up. It’s a vicious circle and I don’t know how to get out of it. Could you please help?
“You don’t have permission to save in this location” is an error message that may show up on any Windows OS version when its user attempts to save files on any PC’s folder or even OneDrive. The message indicates the location in which the user is not allowed to save and provides the alternative folder. Unfortunately, an attempt to save files in the suggested locations also fails with an error “You don’t have permission to save in this location.” While this bug has been registered in Windows 7 and 8, the number or people that are struggling with it have significantly increased with the emergence of Windows 10. Usually, the problem is related to the security settings, which is why only the administrator can save files on your PC. In some rare instances, you may be disallowed to save in a particular location due to the third-party anti-virus. Luckily, it’s not difficult to fix “You don’t have permission to save in this location” error. If you will carefully perform the steps provided below, we are sure that the problem will be gone.
How to fix “You don’t have permission to save in this location” error on Windows 10?
To start with, it’s advisable to run Windows Troubleshooter. Several people have reported that this tool automatically detected and fixed the problems. If, however, the issue hasn’t been resolved, disable third-party antivirus if you are using one. Kaspersky and Avast programs might have changed security settings automatically or several malfunctions of these programs may be causing “You don’t have permission to save in this location” bug. If you are still facing the issue, then the only way to work around it is to modify security settings manually:
- Press Windows key + R to open Run.
- Type netplwiz and press Enter.
- When the User Account dialogue box opens, click User tab.
- Locate the account with which you are encountering the error and click on it.
- Select Properties and check the Administrator box.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Finally, reboot your PC.
- Right-click on the folder, which throws the “You don’t have permission to save in this location” error.
- Select Properties and open Security tab.
- Click Advanced and find Owner.
- Select Change button next to Owner and type your username.
- Click Check Names and press Enter.
- Check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and click OK.
- If “Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control?” message shows up, press Yes to continue.
- After that, press Edit button and click on your username.
- Select Full control and click OK.
- Press Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Reboot your PC to activate the changes.
TIP: we highly recommend to scan your PC with Reimage regularly. This piece of software will optimize the system, ensure its best performance, and protect from virus/malware.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: