Issue: How to Remove HomeGroup From Windows 10?
HomeGroup feature is useless for me. I am the only one who uses this computer, and I am not going to share any files or documents with others. Thus, I would like to remove this feature from Windows 10. Could you tell me how?
HomeGroup is a useful Windows feature that allows sharing files and devices easily between computers that are connected to the same network. This feature has appeared in Windows 7 for the first time. Thus, all the further versions of the OS includes this feature too. It’s a secure way to share documents and other important content because HomeGroups are protected with passwords.
However, some computer users do not find this feature necessary. Thus, there’s no need to keep HomeGroup icon available in File Explorer. Just like many other useless functions and features, this one might also be disabled quite easily. Below you will find two ways how to remove HomeGroup from Windows.
If you are concerned that you may need this feature in the future, you should not worry about it. HomeGroup can be easily re-enabled.
Disabling HomeGroup on Windows 10
If you do not use this feature and want to get rid of HomeGroup icon from the File Explorer menu, you should try these two methods.
Option 1. Leave the HomeGroup
The quickest and simplest way to remove HomeGroup is to leave it.
1. In the search box enter “homegroup” and click enter.
2. In the appeared list of search results find HomeGroup and chose it.
3. In the appeared window go to Other homegroup actions section. Here click a Leave the homegroup… link.
4. In the appeared Leave the Homegroup window, you will see three options. You will have to choose the one saying “Leave the homegroup.”
5. Wait until the changes are made.
Nevertheless, you have left HomeGroup; you still see its icon in the File Explorer. Follow these steps to remove it too:
1. Press Windows Key + R. Enter services.msc and press Enter. Then click OK.
2. In the appeared Services window, find HomeGroup Listener and double click it.
3. When the Homegroup Listener Properties window appears, set the Startup type to Disabled. Then click the Stop button below.
4. Click Apply and then OK to save the changes.
Option 2. Edit the Registry
We recommend trying this method only if the first option hasn’t helped. Bear in mind that this method requires making changes in Windows Registry. Thus, we suggest backing up the registry in order to avoid damage in case of the failure.
1. In the search type regedit and click OK. In the appeared list of search results choose the Registry Editor.
2. When in Registry Editor, find this key in the left pane:
Note. Be careful and do not confuse CLSID and .CLSID entries. They are different, and you need CLSID.
3. Once you find a necessary registry entry, right click on it. Go to New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value. The new value has to be called System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree.
Once it’s done, Windows should automatically set a new value for DWORD to zero. Thus, HomeGroup will disappear from the File Explorer menu.
If DWORD value was not set automatically, follow these steps:
1. Right-click on the registry.
2. Go to Permissions -> Advanced -> Change.
3. Now you have to enter your Windows username in the box near Check Objects option.
4. Click OK.
5. Return to the first permission screen. Here you have to highlight the Users line and then tick the checkbox that allows a Full Control.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.