Issue: How to remove incorrect driver update Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM - 5.2.5326.4762 on Windows 10?
Hello, everyone. I’ve installed the latest Windows 10 updates and soon after that my OS stopped recognizing My Sansa Clip+ in both auto and MTP modes. I’ve tried to check what’s the problem and noticed the name “Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM – 5.2.5326.4762” on the list of drivers. As far as I remember, it wasn’t there before. What could that mean?
Yesterday Microsoft released an official warning addressing Windows 10 users who have installed driver updates on March 8, 2017. The company acknowledged that an incorrect device driver update had been released, which is listed as Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM – 5.2.5326.4762 on the installed Windows Update list. While this update did not cause fatal damage to the devices, a small group of Windows 10 community reported that the faulty driver update block access to the connected phones of portable devices.
Microsoft has officially approved the fact that the incorrect driver update Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM – 5.2.5326.4762 has been removed from Windows Update the same day. Nevertheless, the analysis had shown that a small group of Windows 10 users installed the update before it was removed. If you have doubts whether you have installed that update or not, click Win key + I top open Settings app, then open Update and Security, open Windows Update, and select Update History. If you find Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM – 5.2.5326.4762 update included on the list, you will have to remove it to prevent system’ malfunctions.
How to remove incorrect driver update Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM – 5.2.5326.4762 on Windows 10?
Method 1. Revert driver’s changes and prevent the driver from reinstalling
- Click Win key + X and select Device Manager.
- Find the device marked with a yellow and red mark next to it (this device should be your phone or another portable device the access of which has been blocked by the update).
- Right-click on that device and select Update Driver Software.
- After that, reboot the system and reconnect the device that you’ve just updated.
- Then open Device Manager again, right-click on the device that you’ve updated previously.
- When a new window opens, select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Click Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Mark Show compatible hardware box and select MTP USB Device.
- Click Next and let the installation proceed.
- After that, your mobile device or another portable device should be detected by your Windows 10 OS.
After that, you should take some precautionary measures to prevent the faulty driver from reinstalling. For this purpose, please do the following:
- Click Win key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- If a UAC shows up, click Yes to proceed.
- Type pnputil.exe –e command and press Enter.
- Now you should find the faulty driver on the list. For example, the driver may be named as oem42.inf. In your case, the number should not be 42, but something else, so look for the .inf file, which starts with the oem followed by one of two random digits. Save the file name somewhere.
- Enter pnputil.exe -d oem##.inf command (## stands for the digits of the .inf file saved on your system)
- Press Enter and close Command Prompt.
Method 2. Use a System Restore Point
If you have created a System Restore Point before the incorrect driver update Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM – 5.2.5326.4762 has been installed on your PC, you may also try to use a System Restore Point to revert back the changes. For this purpose, please do the following:
- Click Win key + R, type rstrui, and press Enter.
- If you have an available System Restore Point, opt for the one that was created before March 8.
- Select the Restore Point and follow the on-screen instructions to use it.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.