Issue: How to Uninstall ByteFence Anti-Malware from Windows?
I think that Java update installed ByteFence on my PC. The problem that I can’t uninstall it using Add/Remove programs feature. Could you please guys help?
ByteFence is legitimate anti-virus developed by Byte Technologies. If you are considering what anti-virus to install and came across ByteFence, it would be a great option for securing your PC from computer threats like Spyware, Ransomware, Trojans, Adware, and so on.
However, if your operating system started generating ByteFence virus scan results out of nowhere, it means that you have installed a software package from a third-party download source (e.g. Cnet or Softonic).
Due to suspicious distribution method, security experts assigned this anti-virus to the potentially unwanted programs (PUP) category and highly recommend uninstalling ByteFence from the system.
When installing separately, ByteFence will prompt a notification about Search.ByteFence.com search engine that is going to be installed along with it.
Therefore, you need to be attentive while installing it and opt out of unwanted installers. However, if you install a third-party tool, such as Java or Adobe Flash updates, additional installers of ByteFence antivirus and Search.ByteFence.com hijacker will probably be hidden under Quick/Basic installation, which is why they will be installed behind your back.
Although ByteFence is considered to be legitimate, the search engine it promotes is not. According to the recent research, Search.ByteFence.com may cause the following issues:
- Alter system’s settings. ByteFence injects Search.ByteFence.com, which then is set as a default start page and search provider. Additionally, it may install web browser assistant, which may block removal of this search.
- Search.ByteFence.com may be related to Trojan/Win32.AGeneric file.
- This third-party search engine may initiate redirects to doubtful websites.
- It installs cookies and can track people’s web browsing activity.
Therefore, if you have installed ByteFence bundled with third-party software, including Search.ByteFence.com hijacker, uninstall it without a delay.
How to Uninstall ByteFence?
Method 1. Remove ByteFence automatically
Many people reported that they cannot uninstall ByteFence using Add/Remove Programs service because the installer is missing from the list.
In this case, we would highly recommend you to switch to the Safe Mode (the tutorial given below) and then install software removal tool, such as, Perfect Uninstaller. Run the setup file and set Perfect Uninstaller to uninstall ByteFence.
Although the software will eliminate anti-virus with its registries, you will have to remove Search.ByteFence.com virus and reset each of your web browsers. Once done, reboot the system to save the changes.
Method 2. Uninstall ByteFence manually
- First of all, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Locate bytefence.exe process and disable it. NOTE: there may be more than one ByteFence related processes.
- After that, click Start (bottom left corner) – Select Settings – Click System – Apps & Features.
- Locate ByteFence, click on it and select Uninstall. (Windows 8)
- Click Windows key (bottom left corner) – click the down arrow.
- Find ByteFence, right-click it and select Uninstall.
- Double click on ByteFence to start the removal (Windows 10)
- Then press Start or Windows key (depending on the type of OS), type regedit and hit Enter.
- Locate and remove all registry entries that belong to ByteFence. Search for the files located in folders:
- Then delete all ByteFence related files in the following folders:
C:\\Program Files\\ ByteFence
C:\\Document and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\ ByteFence
C:\\Documents and Settings\\%USER%\\Application Data\\ ByteFence
- Finally, delete Search.ByteFence.com plug-in from your web browser and reset its settings to default.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions: