Issue: How to Uninstall DirectX?
I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8. Most of the games I used to play on older Windows version stopped working and failing with a DirectX error. I wonder if it’s possible to uninstall DirectX?
If you ask if it’s possible to uninstall DirectX, the answer is Yes. By initiating a simple Registry hack, DirectX will be removed. However, we would NOT recommend removing this programming interface utility because you may irreversibly damage the OS that your PC is currently running.
Why shouldn’t I remove DirectX?
DirectX is an application developed by Microsoft in 1996 with an attempt to turn Windows OS into a leading platform for gaming. This application programming interface is employed by multimedia and video apps and enabled the access to the capabilities of the display and audio cards. It functions as a realistic three-dimensional (3-D) graphics and immersive music and audio effects provide, which is why DirectX is a crucial part of the system if it’s owner opts for playing games.
The other reason why DirectX removal is not recommended is the fact that it’s one of the pre-installed Windows applications. In other words, it’s a constituent part of Windows 10 OS and its files have to be present to maintain PC’s stability. Experts warn that the following errors may strike your PC after DirectX removal:
- “This application has filed to start because DSOUND.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem”
- “Fatal Direct X error Code:3 0x887A0002: DXGI_ERROR_NOT_FOUND”
- “An internal system error occurred. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine the problem”
- Outlook app may start flashing
- Games that employ DirectX won’t be launched
These are just a few examples because there are many DirectX related errors. If you are currently encountering a DirectX error, which is the culprit why you have decided to uninstall the app completely, a much better solution would be to re-install it.
- Press Windows key + R, type regedit, and press Enter.
- Click File -> Export.
- Select the location where you would like to store the backup of you Registry and click Save.
- Now when you have a backup of your Registry, navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\DirectX registry key.
- Find a value called Version, which has a data value of 4.09.00.0904.
- Double click on this key and change its value from 4.09.00.0904 to 4.08.00.0904.
- Close Registry Editor.
- Now navigate to the official Microsoft website and download DirectX installer.
- Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall DirectX completely.
TIP: after all, we would recommend optimizing your PC. By optimizing we don’t mean that you should remove the old photos or videos, although such cleaning is also useful. By saying optimize we mean that temporary files, damaged entries, old registries, duplicate files and other garbage should be removed from your PC to keep it fast and stable. Luckily, you won’t have to do that manually. We would recommend using Reimage utility.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions:
This patented repair process uses a database of 25 million components that can replace any damaged or missing file on user's computer.
To repair damaged system, you have to purchase the licensed version of Reimage malware removal tool.