Issue: How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge?
Is there a way to uninstall Microsoft Edge from Windows 10?
Microsoft Edge is an in-built web browser that is supposed to replace Internet Explorer. It was introduced for the first time as a default browser in Windows 10. Developers had huge ambitions to become a competitor for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. However, computer users do not get used to it and look for the ways to get rid of it.
However, it’s impossible to uninstall Microsoft Edge completely. All you can do is to disable it. Such problem is related to Windows functionality. Thus, for some programs to run properly, Edge has to be correctly installed on the computer. However, there’s a way to incapacitate the browser and allow other related programs run properly.
Disabling Microsoft Edge browser
In order to stop Microsoft’s browser from running, you need to perform these three steps.
Step 1. Get ownership of Microsoft Edge folder
Originally, Microsoft Edge folder belongs to Windows. Thus, you won’t be able to make any changes until you get control over this folder by following these steps:
1. Login to Windows as administrator.
2. Open File Explorer by typing its name to search and clicking on the relevant search result.
3. Go to: C:\\Windows\\SystemApps
4. Find the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder and right-click on it. From the appeared drop-down menu choose Properties option.
5. Choose Security tab and click on Advanced button.
6. At the top of the Advanced Security Settings, near the Owner section, you will a shield icon followed by the Change link. Click on it.
7. Find Select User and Group text box. Here you need to type Administrators. Then click Check Names button and wait until Windows finds suggested administrator account. Choose the account from the appeared list and click OK.
8. Go back to Advanced Security Settings window. Mark the box near to Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and click OK.
9. Go back to Security tab located in the Properties window. Find Edit button and click it.
10. You will see the list of Group or users names. Click on the Administrators account.
11. Below in the same window, under the Allow column, you can see Permission for Administrators box. Mark the checkbox that allows Full control and click OK.
12. In Windows Security message box, click Yes to give the permission to confirm the changes.
13. In Properties window click OK one more time to apply the changes.
Step 2. Stop Windows from changing permissions
Sometimes Windows cannot confirm the previously made changes to Microsoft Edge folder. Thus, changes might be undone or changed after the automatic update installation. In order to avoid wasting your hard work and prevent Windows from changing permissions, follow these steps:
1 Right-click on the Microsoft Edge folder and open Properties.
2. From the General tab go to Attributes section. Here you have to check the box Read-only.
3. Click OK to save the changes.
Step 3. Disable Microsoft Edge
It’s the final step that allows blocking Edge and preventing it from running.
1. Go to Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe (repeat first four moves of Step 1).
2. Here you have to find and rename these two files MicrosoftEdge.exe and MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe. You can choose any name you prefer. However, we recommend picking something similar to disableMSEdge.exe and disableMSEdgeCP.exe. Thus, you can easily found these files if needed.
If you ever want to use Microsoft Edge again, you will need these files, so you should not forget how you renamed them. In order to enable Edge, you need to rename these two files back to their original names.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions: