Issue: How to Uninstall SearchLock?
I have been using Google as a default homepage and search engine for ages. For some obscure reason, Mozilla Firefox automatically changed it to SearchLock. I tried to undo the changes, but SearchLock is automatically activated as soon as I reopen the browser. What did I miss? Could you please explain that? Thanks!
SearchLock is a web browser add-on developed by BeeStripe LLC. It can be downloaded from the Chrome Web Store and the official website. It is represented as a tool for searching the web, which ensures anonymity and privacy. The SearchLock add-on is programmed to redirect the current default search engine (Google, Bing, Yahoo, Ask, ect.) to privacy-enhanced search engine (searchlock.com) instead, thus preventing the collection of browsing-related data and displaying of third-party ads. Nevertheless, security experts warn that the behavior of the SearchLock add-on is eligible and that it has been assigned to the potentially unwanted programs (PUP) category.
SearchLock – browser hijacker
Although initially SearchLock looks like decent search provider, it should not be trusted, security experts warn. It has been classified as a PUP and browser hijacker a couple of years ago. Several aspects have ben taken into account while classifying — distribution method, collaboration with doubtful parties, usage of tracking cookies, and promotion of potentially dangerous web domains.
SearchLock browser hijacker has been circulating around for a couple of years already. However, security experts have recently detected a Searchlock 3 version, which is actively spreading these days. It can be installed directly from the official website or Chrome Web Store. Nevertheless, statistics has shown that the bulk of downloads were performed indirectly. In other words, people found the Searchlock3.com search engine and SearchLock homepage after the installation of other free applications, especially those downloaded from third-party download sources. In addition, the add-on may be spread via Skype spam or fake Java Flash Player updates.
Why SearchLock removal is recommended?
Search Lock is not a good option for web browsing due to several simple reasons:
- It spreads in an unfair manner and that’s a sign of untrustworthy application.
- The add-on continuously redirects people to searchlock.com/search, Results.searchlock3.com or Searchlock3.com.
- The add-on may distort search results and display links to third-party domains in priority.
- SearchLock may also use tracking cookies and accumulate browsing-related information.
SearchLock uninstall guide
SearchLock is malware, so it's advisable to render a profesional utility for its removal. We would recommend using Reimage. Run a scan with it to remove malware and optimize the system properly. After that, don't forget to reset the web browser hijacked by SearchLock virus. Otherwise, neither the start page nor the search engine will be restored to default.
If, nevertheless, you prefer fixing your PC manually, here's the steps that should be taken to fix searchlock.com hijack:
- Boot the system into Safe Mode.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to Open Task Manager.
- Find SearchLock and other suspicious applications and end their tasks.
- Right-click on Windows key and open Control Panel.
- Open Programs & Features and find SearchLock.
- Click it and select Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and click Remove to confirm.
- Close the window that you are currently seeing. Then press Windows key + R.
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- Click Edit at the top of the Registry Editor window and select Find.
- Type SearchLock and wait while the search results are being prepared.
- If any files are found, delete all of them.
- Finally, reset your web browser. If you don't know how to do that, you can find the instructions on this page.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.