Issue: How to Uninstall UIWIX Ransomware?
Hello. UIWIX ransomware just encrypted my files. They have ._1893761437.UIWIX extensions after the original ones now. I found a .txt file called _DECODE_FILES, which says that all of my files were coded. I must point out that I am very careful computer user and yes, I do have a backup. However, now I want to remove UIWIX virus, but I am not sure what is the right way to do it. Can you provide instructions?
Before we move on to Uiwix removal instructions, we would like to provide some technical information about the virus. UIWIX virus is a ransomware that infects computer systems with the help of the EternalBlue exploit. The same exploit was used by the infamous WannaCry ransomware. During the encryption, UIWIX appends .[10 digit ID].uiwix file extension to every affected file. The virus arrives in the form of DLL and has anti-vm feature, which terminates the virus in case a virtual machine or sandbox is detected. Technical analysis of the ransomware shows that the program is a fileless malware that is executed in memory after exploiting EternalBlue, meaning that it is hard to identify and terminate the malicious processes on time. On top of that, the virus gathers system’s browser login, FTP, email and messenger credentials. Unlike WannaCrypt, it doesn’t spread using worm-like features. Besides, it asks for a smaller ransom than WannaCryptor – $200. Users who have a data backup can consider themselves lucky because there are no free tools that could restore files encrypted by this malicious virus. Therefore, the only thing that you need to do is to remove the virus, so we provided a complete guide on how to do it.
Uiwix ransomware removal guide
Method 1. Reboot PC in Safe Mode with Networking to remove the ransomware
- If you’re using Windows 7, Vista or XP, restart your computer and once it starts to load, repeatedly press F8 key.
- If you’re using Windows 8 or 10, press Power button at Windows login screen, then hold down the Shift key, and select Restart. Then select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options and click Startup Settings.
- Depending on operating system version, you will either see “Advanced Boot Options” or “Startup Settings” screen. Use arrows on your keyboard to navigate and choose Safe Mode with Networking option. Press Enter.
- Once the computer fully boots, download preferred malware removal software (we recommend using ReimageMac Washing Machine X9) and run a system scan with it. Do not forget to update it before starting the system scan.
Method 2. System Restore
- Follow the steps provided above, but instead of choosing “Safe Mode with Networking,” choose “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” option. Once the computer loads and command prompt appears on the screen, type in this command: cd restore and press Enter.
- Now enter rstrui.exe and press Enter again.
- System Restore window should appear. Click Next and then select system restore point that was created prior to UIWIX attack. Click Next and then Yes to confirm. After completing this step, download and run malware removal software to remove malicious files from your system.
After completing UIWIX removal, we recommend you to boot the computer in regular mode and scan the system with anti-malware software again. To eliminate the virus, we suggest using ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 software. We do not provide instructions how to delete this virus manually because it is a very hard process that requires certain computing skills.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.