Issue: [Fix] "The timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified or is malformed" error in Windows
Hello. I tried to install .NET Framework on my Windows laptop but I received the “The timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified or is malformed” error. How do I fix this?
The “The timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified or is malformed” error is an issue that can occur when installing certain applications on Windows, such as DotNetFramework or LogMeIn Go to Assist. This error is typically caused by an outdated Windows system or restrictions from the Execution Policy of the system.
This error can impact users by preventing them from installing the necessary application, which can prevent them from using certain features or programs that depend on that application. Possible solutions include updating the Windows system, disabling the Execution Policy, and disabling third-party antivirus software temporarily during the installation.
Additionally, checking the date and time on the computer and ensuring they are set correctly can also help resolve this issue. In this guide, you will find 5 steps that should help you fix “The timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified or is malformed” error in Windows.
Keep in mind that the manual troubleshooting process can be lengthy. To avoid this, you can use an automatic maintenance tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Update Windows
- Click Start and select Settings
- Go to the Windows Update section
- Click Check for updates and wait
- Go to the Advanced options and install optional updates
- Reboot your system
Solution 3. Install the latest .NET framework version
- Open your web browser and navigate to the official Microsoft website
- Click on the latest and recommended .NET Framework
- Click on the Download .NET Framework Runtime and let the download complete
- Once the download is complete, launch the .NET Framework installer as administrator
- Check if the installer successfully installs without encountering the certificate verification issue
Solution 4. Disable Code Signing of the Driver Package
Code Signing of the Driver Package in the Group Policy is a security feature that ensures that the drivers installed on a Windows system are from a trusted source and have not been tampered with. It is used to verify the authenticity of the driver and its publisher before it is installed on the system.
However, in some cases, the Code Signing of the Driver Package feature may cause issues during the installation of an application, resulting in the “The timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified or is malformed” error. Disabling Code Signing of the Driver Package can help to fix this issue.
To disable Code Signing of the Driver Package in Windows 11, you can follow the instructions provided in an in-depth guide How to disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 11?. This guide will provide detailed instructions on how to perform this process, including screenshots and step-by-step instructions.
Solution 5. Perform an Upgrade Install
If previous solutions have not resolved the issue, you can use a Windows ISO to perform an in-place upgrade. To do so, download the necessary tool from the Microsoft website. Before proceeding, temporarily disable or uninstall any third-party antivirus software and disconnect any unnecessary peripherals (excluding the mouse and keyboard).
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download the Windows installation media
- Double-click the installer and select Yes when UAC shows up
- Agree to the terms and click Next
- Select Upgrade this PC now and select Next
- Windows will now download all the necessary files – it might take sometime
- Agree to terms once again and click Next
- Before installing, make sure that you are happy with your choices (otherwise, you can click Change what to keep option)
- Click Install to begin the upgrade process.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.