Issue: How to fix screen resolution settings greyed out in Windows?
Hello. I recently bought a new monitor for my Windows PC but when I connected it and tried to change the resolution, the settings are unavailable. Is there anything I can do?
Some people report an issue in Windows that does not let them change the resolution settings. There could be several reasons why the resolution settings are not available in Windows. One possible reason is that the graphics driver is not properly installed or is out of date. In this case, the system may not be able to detect the graphics hardware and display the available resolution settings.
It is also possible that the resolution settings are grey because of a Windows update. Some people also report that the problem appeared after connecting a new monitor to their PC. To resolve this issue, the first step would be to check if the graphics driver is properly installed and up to date. You can do this by going to the Device Manager and checking the status of the graphics driver.
in this guide, you will find 5 steps that should help you fix screen resolution settings greyed out in Windows. Keep in mind that the manual troubleshooting process can be lengthy. To avoid it, you can use a maintenance tool like ReimageMac Washing Machine X9. It can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, registry issues, or clear cookies and cache automatically. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Reinstall the Display Driver
You should reinstall the graphics driver to make sure you have the newest driver software compatible with your hardware.
- Open Device Manager and expand the Display Adapters tab
- Right-click on your graphics driver and select Uninstall device
- Click Uninstall again in the second window and wait for the process to finish
- Restart your computer
- You can also download the driver from the manufacturer's website or for an easier process, you can use a dedicated utility like DriverFix that can find the best drivers for your machine and install them automatically
Solution 2. Uninstall the most recent Windows Update
- Click on the Start menu and type updates
- Press Enter to launch the Settings page
- Click on Update history
- From the next page, click on Uninstall updates
- Locate the patch you have recently installed and click on Uninstall
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Solution 3. Switch to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter Driver
The Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is software that's built into Windows that provides display and graphics capabilities when software from your hardware manufacturer isn't installed.
- Press the Windows key + X to open the Power User Menu
- Tap the M key on the keyboard to open Device Manager
- Scroll down the list of installed devices and expand the Display adapters section
- Next, right-click on the graphics card and choose Update driver from the context menu
- Select the Browse my computer for drivers option
- Click the Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer option
- Select Microsoft Basic Display Adapter from the list
- Click the Next button and wait for Windows to install the drivers
- Once done, reboot your computer
Solution 4. Run System Restore
System Restore is a tool that can revert your system back to a previous point before a specific problem has occurred.
- Go to the Start menu, type restore, and click on Create a restore point
- Click System Restore, then follow the prompts until you can select a restore point
- Select the one you want (ideally before the screen resolution settings became greyed out) and go ahead with the process
Solution 5. Enable Custom Resolution on Intel
If you have the Intel Graphics Command Center, try to change the resolution settings from there.
- Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
- Open the Display tab
- In the Display General Settings, click the Custom button located next to the Resolution setting
- Click on OK to proceed
- In the Basic Custom Resolution settings, click Advanced Settings for more options
- Input the custom resolution or mode values per your requirements
- Click Yes to save the changes
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.