Issue: How to fix “System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied” on Windows?
I tried to run Net View command in Command Prompt, but the commands were not executed successfully. I got an error “System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.” What does it mean and what should I do to work around it? I’m using Windows 10.
If you run commands vis Command Prompt utility on your computer, such system error as “System error 5 has occurred” shouldn't be new. It occurs while executing commands without administrative privileges that are needed. It simply means that you cannot execute the command because you don't have admin rights.
“System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied” is an old issue, which emerged in Windows 7. However, users' reports on the official Microsoft website indicate the fact that the problem hasn’t been resolved and resettled into Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
Typically, it shows up when the PC user is trying to execute commands like Net View or Net Time. In general, system error 5 in Command Prompt appears when the user attempts to execute complicated commands. There are particular occasions when such error occurs, and some of them can be related to settings of the machine:
- Time Synchronization issues. If the time on your device is set up wrongly, issues like that may appear. To resolve this particular problem you need to enable the time sync feature on the PC and make sure that the correct time zone for your region is used, in the first place.
- The account is disabled. it is possible that you try to use a disabled account or the one that doesn't exist on the domain. In this situation, you can try to ensure that the account is enabled on the domain and exist if you try to use it. You can use Netdom command-line utility on the PC for that.
- Missing permission to access the remote computer. Before trying to access the remote computer, you should make sure that you have all the required permissions. If any of those are missing, the error of any sorts ay appear. System error 5 is one of them. It is simply fixable, you need to get all the required permissions from the remote computer.
However, in the majority of the cases, “System error 5 has occurred’ emerges due to the administrative privileges. Even if the PC user is logged into the system as an administrator, Command Prompt may deny access if the Command Prompt is not run as administrator. In other words, if the PC user simply clicks the search button, types regedit, and run it, the Command Prompt starts running without administrative privileges.
How to fix “System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied”
As soon as you fix the “System error 5 has occurred,” you should optimize your PC. However, particular programs can also help you immediately if particular files got corrupted or malware affected the machine and caused an issue with the Command Prompt.
To check the registry, system files, malware, missing files, cache, and other problems, we would recommend running a scan with Reimage. Such anti-malware tools have the capability of finding rogue components in the computer system, taking care of outdated registry entries, which also might increase the speed of your computing work.
Open Command Prompt and run it as an administrator
Therefore, to fix “System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied” on Windows 7, 8, 10 or another version, you should open an elevated Command Prompt with administrative privileges. For this purpose, you should:
- Open Start menu, type cmd, and press Enter.
- Right-click on the search results, and select Run as administrator.
- If a UAC opens, click OK to confirm.
Windows 8, 8.1 or 10:
- Press Windows key + X to open a drop-down menu.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Alternatively, you can click Windows key and type cmd.
- Right-click on the search results,
- Select Run as administrator.
- If a UAC opens, click OK to confirm.
Open Windows Registry Editor
If running Command Prompt with administrative privileges did not bring any good results, please try to perform the following steps, and the error might be taken care of:
- Open Start and type regedit, and press Enter.
- Use the left pane to navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\LanmanServer\\Parameters key.
- Click on Edit menu and select Add Value.
- Name the new value as MinFreeConnections.
- Then select Add -> New -> REG_DWORD.
- Set the value of the new key to 5 and close Registry Editor.
- After that, right-click on Windows key and select Control Panel.
- Select Network and locate Installed Network Software.
- Under Installed Network Software,
- Highlight Server and select Configure.
- Locate Optimization and select Maximize Throughput for File Sharing under it.
- Click OK.
- After that, open Start,
- Next type cmd, right-click it, and select Run as Administrator.
- Type net stop server and net start server.
- Press Enter after each of them.
- Head to the following path:
- Remove FPE.com.AddIn entry name by right-clicking the key and selecting Delete.
- As soon as that is removed, Restart the machine and check if the error is occurring still.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.