Issue: How to Fix VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR BSOD on Windows 10?
After the latest Windows 10 Update, I get a VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR blue screen error. It shows up randomly, but I’ve noticed that most frequently it pop-ups when I try to open Start menu. What can I do to fix it?
VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR is yet another Windows Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error. Usually, it is marked with a numeric error code 0x00000113 and one the following message:
Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. (41% complete)
If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error:
The BSOD may occur when performing various tasks with the PC, including but not limiting to the installation of new software, while launching programs or running some services. Usually, it starts occurring after the installation of new hardware/software or Windows updates.
While the VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR BSOD can be walked around by rebooting the system, specialists highly recommend to take this problem seriously and isolate it’s culprit as soon as possible. Like most of the BSOD, VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR can affect Windows OS in a very negative way, i.e. slowdowns, crashes, unexpected reboots, unresponsive programs, etc.
In most of the cases, the VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR bug occurs on Windows 10 after the installation of updates, which corrupt graphics driver or when the graphics driver goes out-of-date. However, the problem may also stem from anti-virus conflict.
A Guide on How to Fix the VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR BSOD on Windows 10
The method that you should apply for VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR repair depends on various factors, for example, when the problem occurs, what was the last system’s change that you’ve initiated before the problem started, and so on.
If, however, you don’t know much about the circumstances, you can try performing the following methods one-by-one as all of them are safe to perform.
Fix 1. Install the latest Windows Updates
Many Windows 10 problems are fixed automatically by the latest updates. Therefore, if the system starts malfunctioning, you should check for updates in the first place:
- Press Windows key + I and open Update & Security section.
- Now click Check for Updates.
- Everything else will be done for you automatically. During the scan, the system should detect all available updates and install them automatically. The only thing that you’ll have to do is to confirm the reboot after the installation of updates to finish the process.
Fix 2. Check system’s drivers
Windows 10 BSOD errors often reflect the problems with system’s drivers. One of the most vulnerable driver is Graphics card driver, which seems to be the culprit of the VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR blue screen.
To prevent drivers from getting out-of-date or corrupted, we would recommend updating them or installing the latest versions form the manufacturer’s website. One of the most effective way to keep maintain drivers updated and unblemished is to install a PC’s optimization utility.
Our recommendation would be FortectMac Washing Machine X9. It will inform you about corrupted Windows files, registry entries, potentially unwanted programs or outdated drivers in a log file. If you prefer fixing VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR manually, start from updating or reinstalling Graphics card driver:
- Right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager.
- Expand Display adapters section, click on your Graphics card driver (Intel and Nvidia) and select Update driver.
- If that did not help, then click on the Graphics card driver one more time and select Uninstall device.
- Then navigate to the official Manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of the driver.
Fix 3. Disable your anti-virus and Windows Firewall
- Press Windows key and type Windows Defender Security Center.
- Select Firewall & Network Protection.
- Click Private (discoverable) network and slide a toggle to Off.
- Then do the same with Public (non-discoverable) network.
- After that, disable Windows Defender or any third-party antivirus program. However, don’t forget to enable the protection if it turns out that the culprit of the VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR was not antivirus.
If the problem stems from security software, you should either reinstall it or consider using another tool instead.
Fix 4. Use a System Restore Point
If none of the methods provided above worked, you can try to fix VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR BSOD by enabling a System Restore Point. If you don’t have a restore point created before the BSOD emerged, then you can use a Reset this PC function.
If you have been creating System Restore Points regularly, then enable the latest point, but make sure that it was created before the problem started.
- Open Control Panel -> Recovery.
- Now click on Open System Restore link and hit Next on the new window.
- Select the restore point that you want to enable and click Next.
- Now you’ll have to wait while the system is being recovered.
If the Restore Point did not resolve the problem, our last recommendation is to use Reset this PC option. You can find a thorough guide on how to use it on this post.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.