Issue: How to Fix We can’t Sign Into Your Account Error on Windows?
HELP!!! For some reason, I can't sign into my Microsoft account. When I try to sign into my account, I receive a message that says “We can't sign into your account. This problem might get fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. If you don't sign out now, any files you create or changes you make will be lost.” I can’t use my personal files, docs, and everything that is in there. Why?? Please tell me how to fix this issue ASAP.
The problem with the We can’t sign into your account error occurred along with the release of Windows Anniversary Update. All of a sudden, Windows 10 locks you out of your account by delivering a pop-up window, which simply states the fact that Windows can’t sign in. The error occurs during the boot up phase when you click on your account’s logo and enter a password (if you are using it).
Unfortunately, but an exact reason for We can’t sign into your account error is not clear. It is assumed that it may be triggered by user profile mix up, registries, corrupted files or malware. However, it does not seem to be a very serious issue. However, don’t lose hope and try the fixes that we provide below.
We are sure that it will help you to fix We can’t sign into your account without any difficulties. However, the cause of such error might not be Windows anniversary update entirely. In that case, you will find alternatives methods to solve the problem.
Methods to fix We can’t sign into your account error
A number of people who experienced a locked desktop by We can’t sign into your account error issue reported that they were able to access their accounts after rebooting their PCs several times in a row. However, this fix is a temporary one, so sooner or later you will receive “We can’t sign into your account pop-up again” message again.
Luckily, you can fix it permanently by doing the following:
Option 1. Create a Temporary Profile and install Windows updates
- Turn on your PC and wait until the Windows booting screen shows up.
- As soon as it appears, press Restart button.
- After that, select Troubleshoot and then click Advanced Options.
- Opt for Startup Settings and press F4 to open Safe Mode.
- Then wait until your PC restarts and boots into Safe Mode.
- During the startup, click Windows key and press R simultaneously.
- Type regedit in the search box and click Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Here you should go to the following:
- Expand ProfileList and you will see a few subfolders named by values starting S-1-5-XX (XX could be any number).
- You have to select the one that has the ProfileImagePath key set to the system profile path.
- Click twice on the RefCount key and change its value to 0 from 1 and click OK.
- Close everything and restart your PC.
Install Windows updates
- When your computer fully boots, Navigate to Settings App – Select Updates & Security – Windows Updates.
- Select Check for Updates option and wait until the system scans for available options.
- As soon as you get the list with all Windows updates that you are recommended installing, click Run the Updates.
- After all updates are installed, reboot your PC.
Option 2. Sign into Microsoft account using web browser
One of users who experienced this issue suggested a method that helped him fix the “Can't sign into your account” error.
Step 1. Log into a temporary profile.
- Once you're logged in withe the temporary profile, go to C:\\Users\\ and find the folder that belongs to your profile. Create a copy of it.
- Then open your browser and navigate to Microsoft account login page. Sign into the Microsoft account that you're having problems with.
- Log out of Windows OS and log back in.
If the annoying error message still appears on the screen, leave it on the screen (don't close it!) and do the following:
- Click on Windows icon in the lower left corner of the screen (Start menu) and use right mouse button to click on your Account icon. Select Sign Out from the menu.
- Log back into the computer.
Option 3. Check if “We can’t sign into your account” is not a scam
If you notice additional links to remote-control applications such as Team Viewer or LogMeIn and see an indicated phone number, it might be a tech support scam. In that case, you need to eliminate the malware with Plumbytes Anti-Malware. Before that, enter Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking if you need to install the program.
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift and click Restart.
- Opt for Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking in Startup Settings window.
Now you will be able to access the computer. This method will not help you remove all possible malicious files but it will help you solve the problem activating other functions.
Option 4. Solve the problem with Command Prompt
- If you are able to access your operating system via Safe Mode, in the advanced options list, choose Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Follow these commands consecutively. Click Enter after each one.
- net user /add useraccountname mypassword
- net localgroup administrators useraccountname /add
- net share concfg*C:\\\\/grant:useraccountname,full
- net user useraccountname
Option 5. Use Registry Editor to regain access to your account
- Click Windows key+R, type regedit, and launch Registry Editor.
- Go to the following path:
- In the location, find your account, right-click on it, and delete it.
- Now close Registry Editor, and head to Settings -> Accounts.
- Add your account again.
Either of these methods will assist you in regaining access to your account. In case these methods did not help you solve the issue, corrupted registry entries might be the cause. Then you might need to install the operating system again.
If you discovered a new method that helped you to fix the Can't sign into your account issue, please do not hesitate and share it with others in the comment section below.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
This patented repair process uses a database of 25 million components that can replace any damaged or missing file on user's computer.
To repair damaged system, you have to purchase the licensed version of Reimage malware removal tool.