Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0x80090017?
Hello. I am struggling to update Windows to the latest version, as I keep getting the 0x80090017 error. This never happened to me before and I was able to install updates with no problems. Now, I keep trying for several days, but to no avail.
Some Windows updates simply do not install for users, and while some can resolve the problem by waiting, others can't install updates at all, be it security, feature, cumulative, or other types. When updates fail, users are usually presented with an error code, and 0x80090017 is one of them.
The 0x80090017 error code can occur for various reasons, such as bugged Windows update file cache, incorrectly configured services, corrupted system files, or even a damaged update database. These issues can prevent Windows updates from installing correctly, exposing users to security vulnerabilities and missing out on new features and bug fixes.
Fixing Windows update error 0x80090017 requires troubleshooting the underlying cause of the issue. Users can try clearing the Windows Update cache, resetting the Windows Update components, checking the system files for corruption, or repairing the update database. It is always advisable to back up important data before making any changes to the system.
Windows updates are essential for maintaining the security and stability of the system. They contain bug fixes, new features, and security patches that address known vulnerabilities. By installing updates regularly, users can ensure that their device is protected against the latest threats and that it is performing optimally, hence fixing 0x80090017 is essential.
Apart from troubleshooting the underlying issue, users can also utilize PC repair tools to help them solve common issues. These tools can scan the system for errors and corrupted files, optimize performance, and fix common problems automatically. One example of a PC repair tool is FortectMac Washing Machine X9. By using this tool, users can resolve Windows update errors quickly and easily without requiring technical expertise.
Fix 1. Attempt an automatic repair with the troubleshooter
A built-in tool known as Windows update troubleshooter can help you identify problems when it comes to updating failures.
- Type Troubleshoot in Windows search and hit Enter.
- Click Additional troubleshooters/Other troubleshooters.
- Scroll down to find Windows update and select it.
- Click Run the troubleshooter/Run.
- Wait till the process is finished and apply the fixes, then try updating again.
Fix 2. Check relevant services
Windows updates require several services to be running in the background for them to install correctly. If they are already running, you can try restarting them instead. Follow these steps:
- Type in Services in Windows search and press Enter.
- Locate Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).
- If it is already running, right-click and select Restart.
- If the service is not running, double-click it, and select Automatic under the Startup type from the drop-down menu.
- Click Start, Apply, and OK.
- You should perform the same steps with Windows Update service, Cryptographic service, Windows Installer service, Windows Modules Installer service, and Windows Update Medic Service.
Fix 3. Temporarily disable security and other software
Disabling security software and other software, such as VPN, can sometimes resolve Windows update errors, such as 0x80090017 because these programs can interfere with the update process. Security software, for example, can block the update from downloading or installing, as it may flag it as a potential threat.
Similarly, VPNs can sometimes cause issues with the internet connection, preventing the update from downloading correctly. By temporarily disabling these programs, users can eliminate these potential roadblocks and allow the update to proceed smoothly.
Fix 4. Reset Windows Update Components
- Type cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and pick Run as administrator.
- When User Account Control (UAC) asks you whether you want to allow changes, click Yes.
- Stop the Windows Update-related services by running the following commands one at a time, pressing Enter after each one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders by running the following commands:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
Note: If your Windows installation is not on the C drive, replace “C” with the appropriate drive letter.
- Restart the Windows Update-related services by running the following commands:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Restart your PC.
Fix 5. Run SFC and DISM
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- When the scan is complete, you should also run the following commands to repair Windows image files:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Restart your system.
Fix 6. Use Media Creation Tool
You can use Media Creation Tool to repair your Windows installation and update it to the latest build. Before proceeding, make sure you disable any third-party security software and disconnect any unnecessary peripherals, such as USB sticks or printers.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download Windows 10 installation media (Windows 11 version).
- Double-click the installer and select Yes when UAC shows up.
- Agree to terms.
- Select Upgrade this PC now and select Next.
- Windows will now download all the necessary files – it might take a while.
- Agree to the terms once again and click Next.
- Before installing, ensure you are happy with your choices (otherwise, you can click the Change what to keep option).
- Click Install to begin the upgrade process.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.