Issue: How to fix xlive.dll missing or not found error in Windows?
Hi. I just installed the GTA game, and it refuses to start. I instead receive an error “The program can't start because xlive.dll file is missing in your computer.” What is this, and how do I fix it?
Dynamic Link Library (DLL) files are integral components of the Windows operating system. These files contain functions and procedures that enable programs to execute specific actions without needing to embed these functionalities directly within the program. DLL files help streamline and optimize system resources, making the OS and various applications more efficient.
DLL errors, while intimidating, are not uncommon. They tend to occur due to various reasons, such as missing DLL files, corrupted files, or outdated software. One such error involves the xlive.dll file, where users are faced with an error message stating that the file is missing or not found. This error is especially prevalent when attempting to launch games.
The xlive.dll file is part of the Games for Windows Live platform from Microsoft. This service enables popular features in games, including in-game achievements, multiplayer matchmaking, and live voice chat. Therefore, the xlive.dll file plays a vital role in the gaming experience on Windows. Without this file, games relying on Games for Windows Live services may fail to run properly or at all.
The “xlive.dll not found or missing” error typically indicates that the DLL file is either not present in the expected directory, corrupted, or not properly recognized by the system. These problems can arise due to accidental deletion of the file, an unsuccessful software update, or a malware attack.
Resolving this issue involves multiple steps that depend on the root cause of the problem. You can reinstall the game or software, run a system file check, or manually download and replace the missing xlive.dll file. It's essential to follow these steps with caution, as incorrect actions may lead to other system issues.
Remember, DLL files are sensitive components of your system, so any changes to these files should be done carefully. Detailed steps for fixing the xlive.dll error are available below this article. It's recommended to run a scan with FortectMac Washing Machine X9 PC repair tool before proceeding with more advanced manual solutions.
Fix 1. Update Windows
Keeping Windows updated ensures that you have the latest system files and fixes, potentially solving the xlive.dll error.
- Type Updates in Windows search and hit Enter.
- In the new window, click the Check for updates button.
- Now all the necessary files will be downloaded and installed.
- If optional updates are available, install them as well.
- Reboot your device when done.
Fix 2. Run SFC and DISM
System File Checker (SFC) is a built-in Windows tool that can find and fix system file corruption, including DLL files. DISM tool can address issues that SFC can't, so you should run them both.
- Type cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- User Account Control will ask whether you want to allow changes – click Yes.
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- After the SFC scan is complete, use the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Restart your device.
Fix 3. Reinstall the game or software
When a game or software fails to run due to a missing xlive.dll file, reinstalling the application can fix the problem. This works because it allows the program to reinstall all necessary components, including any missing or corrupted DLL files.
- Go to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Select the problematic software and click on Uninstall.
- Restart your computer.
- Reinstall the game or software by downloading it from the official source or installing it from the disc.
- Try launching the game or software again.
Fix 4. Install Games for Windows Live
As xlive.dll is associated with the Games for Windows Live platform, installing or reinstalling this software could solve the problem. Unfortunately, no direct downloads from Microsoft pages are available – you can use alternatives, however.
- Download the Games for Windows Live installer.
- Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Restart your computer.
- Try running the game or software again.
Fix 5. Perform a System Restore
If all else fails, performing a system restore can bring your computer back to a point when the xlive.dll file was not missing or corrupted.
- Type in Create a Restore point in Windows search and hit Enter.
- Go to the System Protection tab and pick System restore.
- Click Next.
- Click Show more restore points (if available).
- Pick the time before the problem occurred and click Next.
- Follow the prompts to finish the process.
Fix 6. Download and replace the xlive.dll file
Manually downloading and replacing the xlive.dll file can resolve the issue. However, this should be a last resort due to the risk of downloading unsafe files.
- Download the xlive.dll file from a trusted DLL file website.
- Navigate to the game or software installation directory.
- Paste the downloaded file into this directory.
- Restart your computer and try running the game or software again.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.