Issue: How to Turn Facebook Messenger Notifications Off?
Messenger keeps beeping and getting on my nerves… I’m involved in a couple of chats that I cannot quit, but continuous message notifications are too annoying. Is it possible to turn them off?
Messenger is an app released by Facebook in 2011, which provides an instant messaging service. Although people consider Messenger to be inherent from the Facebook app, in reality, these two applications can and are working separately. To access Messenger and use the instant messaging service only, the device owner should type messenger.com URL address into the web browser’s URL address bar and access the site directly. However, downloading Messenger app and signing in with Facebook account is incomparably more popular and convenient than using the app alone due to the availability of the contacts because when signed in with Facebook, Messenger allows people to send instant messages, photos, emoticons, voice clips or call for any of Facebook friends. However, Facebook Messenger users often complain about irritating messenger notifications, which emit a quite irritating beeping sound and cause the device to vibrate. If you are often bombarded by Messenger notifications, you must know how annoying such experience is. Luckily, it’s possible to disable Messenger notifications completely or make them less annoying by modifying some settings of the app.
Turning Facebook Messenger Notifications Off on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
IMPORTANT: It is not possible to change the sound of Facebook Messenger notifications on iOS.
- Open Messenger app and go to Settings in the lower-right corner of the screen.
- Open Notifications. To mute notifications for a particular period of time, slide the Mute toggle to On and set a duration, which is available up to 24 hours.
- To turn off in-app notifications, navigate to the Settings app on your iOS, not the Messenger app itself.
- Tap on Notifications and select Messenger.
- Slide the Allow Notifications toggle to Off. This way, you will disable Messenger notifications on your device completely.
- If the sound of the Messenger Notifications annoys you the most, you can turn the sounds off by accessing the Settings of your device, clicking on Messenger, and selecting Sounds.
- Slide the toggle of Sounds to off and that’s it.
Disabling Messenger Notifications on Android
- Launch Messenger app and open the Profile tab.
- Tap on Notifications & Sounds to change the in-app settings.
- To mute the Messenger notifications, tap On button at the top-right corner of the screen. Select how long to mute the messages (up to 24 hours).
- You can also disable the Notifications preview, Vibration, My Day Notifications, Sound, Light and a couple of other options by sliding a toggle to off.
- If you are annoyed by the sound, click on Notification sound and select the new sound for the Messenger notifications.
- To disable notifications completely, go to the Settings of your device, not the Messenger app.
- Select Apps, Applications or App Manager depending on the model of your device.
- Select Messenger and unmark the Show notifications box.
- Those who are using Android 6.0+ may not se the Show Notifications box. In this case you should navigate to the Settings -> Sounds & Notifications -> Apps -> Messenger. Slide the toggle to Block.
Blocking Messenger Notifications for Specific Conversation only
- Open Messenger app and select the conversation you want to disable notifications for.
- Tap on the name of the recipient (iOS) or i symbol closed in a circle (Android).
- Select Notifications.
- To disable notifications for that specific conversation completely, select Until I turn it back on.
- To disable notifications for a particular time period, select the preferable interval.
Optimize your system and make it work more efficiently
Optimize your system now! If you don't want to inspect your computer manually and struggle with trying to find issues that are slowing it down, you can use optimization software listed below. All these solutions have been tested by ugetfix.com team to be sure that they help improve the system. To optimize your computer with only one click, select one of these tools: