Issue: How to uninstall μTorrent from Windows OS?
I’ve recently installed utorrent, which soon started to freeze. I’m running Windows 7 and cannot find how to remove it since it’s not in add/remove programs list. Could you please help with that? Thanks!
We are pretty sure that the majority of computer users are familiar with µTorrent application. If, surprisingly, you haven’t heard about it, then you should known that it’s a powerful tool for streaming torrents of data quickly. It allows uploading and downloading files from and to torrent trackers online. Nevertheless, there are lots of testimonials on the Internet where users report about µTorrent’s freezes or error messages, such as:
The system cannot find the path specified.
The µTorrent updater failed.
If you have already experienced these or similar errors, you have two options – you can either update µTorrent to its latest version or completely uninstall it.
Attention! Be careful when installing µTorrent. According to its developers, free µTorrent client has been misused by hackers who may try to spread viruses and potentially unwanted program with the help of this tool. That’s why it’s recommended to install it only from the official website. Nevertheless, despite its download source, you should read notifications provided on the installation check boxes since they may contain ‘optional downloads’. At the moment of writing, DJ Shadow is spreading alongside µTorrent app. Besides, µTorrent Browser Bar and µTorrent Web Search may get installed by default and replace your start page and search provider unless you refuse to install them. Thus, make sure that you always carefully check installation settings of µTorrent and other free software.
How to uninstall µTorrent on Windows OS
If your µTorrent does not work properly, then probably the best solution is to uninstall it. Unfortunately, it’s not that easy task as it might seem at first. The most important thing that you have to keep in mind is that it’s not enough to delete its main installer. To uninstall µTorrent completely, it’s a MUST to remove all its components. The first thing that you have to do is to switch to the ‘Administrator Account‘. Besides, we are pretty sure that you want to save torrent data, which requires performing such steps:
- Stop all download processes that µTorrent is executing.
- On the main platform you should find an icon “file +”. Click it.
- Move all needed files to the folder, for example, ‘Documents‘.
After that, you can start µTorrent uninstalling on Windows OS. For that, you have to perform the following steps:
- Click Ctrl + Alt + Delete buttons at one and select ‘Task Manager’.
- Find all processes related to the µTorrent (utorrent.exe) and terminate them.
- Open Windows ‘Start menu’ (in the bottom left corner of the screen) and Find ‘Control Panel’.
- Select ‘Program’ → ‘Add/Remove Programs’ and you will see the whole list of software installed on your Windows OS.
- Find µTorrent , double-click on it or press the right button of your mouse and press ‘Uninstall’ or ‘Remove settings’ button.
- After that, a pop-up window should show up asking for your confirmation. If you are sure that you want to uninstall a selected program, click ‘OK’.
- The process will automatically be finished. Do not click ‘Restart’ button after that because uninstalling is not finished yet.
Complete µTorrent uninstalling will be finished as soon as you terminate the main file and related components. For that, you should:
- Open ‘Start menu’, enter ‘regedit‘ in the search, press ‘Enter’ and open ‘Registry Editor’.
- It will be opened in another window and will gradually unfold “HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software” where you should find µTorrent folder.
- Remove the entire folder because all its content is related to the µTorrent.
Finally, don’t forget to remove µTorrent Browser Bar and µTorrent Web Search because the uninstalling of the program will be treated as failed until all components are gone. In order to reset default browser’s settings, you have to take your time and follow these instructions:
- Run the web browser (IE, Google Chrome or Firefox).
- Click the manager icon, which can be found on the right top corner.
- Click ‘Settings’ → ‘Change search defaults’.
- Replace uTorrentControl_v2 Customized Web Search with the search that you’ve been using before.
- Click ‘Manage Add-ons’, remove µTorrent Browser Bar and µTorrent Web Search and click ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’.
- After that, reopen your web browser to check whether settings have been restored.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Congratulations! You’ve managed to uninstall µTorrent on Windows OS successfully. If, however, the process has failed or if you don’t have loads of time for performing this procedure, then we recommend you to try automatic removal of this program. For that you will need to install Perfect Uninstaller that will hep you to initiate a full µTorrent removal.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions: