Issue: How to Uninstall unTabs Extension from Chrome?
I’ve started receiving quite irritating online advertisements and noticed that there are marked as “Ads by UnTabs.” I’ve found such an extension installed on Chrome, but I’m hundred percent sure that I didn’t install it by myself. Its malware, isn’t it? Please tell me how to delete it permanently so that I would not waste my time for lame attempts.
UnTabs is a free Google Chrome extension that is supposed to “prevent browser tab clutter <…> and save up to 95% memory.” To put it simply, the purpose of this extension is to manage Chrome’s tabs by ordering, grouping, and converting them into the lists. The fact that too many Chrome’s extensions opened at the same time significantly reduces web browser’s and, in general, PC’s performance is well-known and has long been proven. Even so, UnTabs is certainly NOT a good solution. Security experts have recently initiated the analysis of this tool and revealed its disadvantages due to which it has been classified as a potentially unwanted program (PUP):
- unTabs spreads by bundling. Although it has an official website, the more active download source of this rogue utility is other freewares and sharewares.
- The extension does not require the permission to invade Chrome. Successful infiltration is often followed by Chrome’s hijack, i.e. start page and search engine may be replaced by a third-party sites.
- Google Chrome gets filled with commercial ads (“Ads by unTabs,” “Brought by unTabs,” etc.).
- The extension exploits tracking cookies to collect, store, and share people’s web browsing data.
- unTabs removal cannot be performed normally.
UgetFix team has conducted a research on this tool and compiled a list of unTabs disadvantages to illustrate how untrustworthy seemingly useful apps sometimes may be. Hundreds of people shared their experience on how they were struggling with unTabs removal and how did they manage to uninstall it completely. Thus, to make it easier for the other unTabs victims to get rid of it, we’ll provide a short removal tutorial down below.
Uninstalling unTabs extension from Chrome:
Step 1. Boot the system into Safe Mode
To prevent Browser Helper Objects and other tricks that malware often uses to prevent removal, we would recommend booting Windows into Safe Mode:
- Press Windows button and navigate to the Power button using your mouse’s cursor.
- Press-Hold the Shift button and select Restart from the Power options.
- When the system boots into Windows Startup screen, select Troubleshoot.
- Click Advanced Options and select Startup Settings.
- Select Restart and then press F5 to enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Modify Windows Group Policy Settings
- Right-click on Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy-Paste rd /S /Q “%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers” command and press Enter.
- Copy-Paste rd /S /Q “%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy” and press Enter.
- Then type gpupdate /force and hit Enter again.
These steps will reset Group Policy settings to default. Therefore, you will be able to uninstall unTabs virus without obstructions.
Step 3. Uninstall unTabs extension
- Right-click on Windows key and select Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features and locate unTabs.
- Click it and select Uninstall. Before doing that, check when it has been installed.
- Go through the list of apps and look for the suspicious ones. If it turns out that other doubtful programs were installed along with unTabs, remove them as well.
Step 4. Reset Google Chrome
To disable unTabs extension on Chrome, reset Chrome‘s settings to default.
- Launch Google Chrome and click More button (three dots at the right-top corner or the page).
- Navigate to the Settings and click Show Advanced Settings.
- Locate Reset Settings pane and click Reset settings.
- In the confirmation box, click Reset.
- Reboot your PC.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions: