Issue: How to fix Bad Image error 0xc0000006 in Windows?
Hello. When I try to launch a specific program in Windows I receive the Bad Image error 0xc0000006. Is there a way to solve this problem?
The 0xc0000006 Bad Image error is a software startup problem that can occur in Windows. It is a type of error message that appears when users attempt to launch specific software packages. The typical error message is as follows:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32<DLL file title> is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error… Error status 0xc0000006.
Users who rely on the affected software packages for work or personal use may be irritated by this error. The Bad Image error 0xc0000006 can have a significant impact. It prevents users from launching specific software programs and may disrupt productivity and workflow. Users may also waste time troubleshooting and resolving the problem, which can be an aggravating and time-consuming process.
There are several possible solutions to the 0xc0000006 Bad Image error. One solution is to use Command Prompt to re-register the DLL file that is causing the error. Uninstalling and reinstalling the affected software is another option. Users can also try the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter or reset Windows. However, depending on the root cause of the problem, the specific solution that works for each user may differ.
In this guide, you will find 7 steps that should help you fix Bad Image error 0xc0000006 in Windows. If you want to avoid a lengthy troubleshooting process, you can use a maintenance tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9. It can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues automatically. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Run the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter
- Open Microsoft's webpage for the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter.
- Click on the Download Troubleshooter button to save a MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta file.
- Launch the Explorer directory navigation app by pressing the Windows key + E.
- Open the folder where the troubleshooter downloaded the MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta file.
- Double-click the MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta file to view the troubleshooter.
- In the troubleshooter, click on the Advanced option.
- Select the Apply repairs automatically option.
- Click on Next to bring up further options.
- Select the Installing option to view a list of your installed software.
- Find the software that has error 0xc0000006 occurs for and select it.
- Click Next again, and select the Yes, try to install repair option.
Solution 3. Perform a Malware Scan
It is possible that a malware infection may be the cause of Bad Image error 0xc0000006. It is important to run a comprehensive security scan to rule out this possibility and ensure that the computer is not infected. This can help to prevent further issues with the Windows operating system and ensure that it is functioning properly.
If you have access to a security scanner, or if your organization pays for one, you can use it to scan your entire system to check for a virus infection. Otherwise, you can use Windows Defender to scan your system:
- Click on the Windows Start menu or press the Windows key on your keyboard
- Type Microsoft Defender in the search bar and click on Microsoft Defender Antivirus to open the application
- Click on the Virus & threat protection option in the left-hand menu
- Click on the Quick scan or Full scan option, depending on your preference
- If you choose Quick scan, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will scan the most vulnerable and commonly infected areas of your computer
- If you choose Full scan, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will scan your entire computer, including all files, folders, and programs
- Click on the Scan now button to start the selected scan type and wait for the scan to complete
- The time it takes will depend on the size of your hard drive and the number of files being scanned
- Once the scan is complete, you will be informed of any detected threats, and you can choose to quarantine or remove them
- If no threats are found, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will inform you that your device is secure
Solution 4. Re-register the DLL
- Note down the DLL file name referenced in the error 0xc0000006 message.
- Start the Command Prompt.
- Input the following command:
regsvr32 “C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32<DLL file name>
- Press the Enter key to re-register the file.
- A RegSvr32 dialog box will pop up, confirming the registration of the DLL. Click OK on that window.
- Close Command Prompt.
- Restart Windows.
Solution 5. Reinstall the Problematic App
- Right-click the taskbar button for the Start menu and select the Run dialog box shortcut.
- Input the appwiz.cpl command for the Programs and Features and select OK.
- Select the software that you need to fix error 0xc0000006 for.
- Click on Uninstall for the selected software.
- Select Yes on any confirmation dialog box that may pop up.
- Restart your Windows PC after removing the affected software.
- Download the latest version of the software you need to reinstall from its website.
- Reinstall the program with the setup wizard for it.
Solution 6. Uninstall the last Windows Update
- Click on the Start Menu and search for the Settings app.
- Navigate to Update & Security, the last option in the Settings app.
- On the next screen, click on View update history.
- Select the Uninstall updates option.
- Choose the update that you would like to uninstall.
- Click on Uninstall at the top of the page.
Solution 7. Reset Windows
- Press the Windows key + X and select Settings.
- Next, click on Recovery from the System tab in Settings.
- Press Reset PC to open the tool for resetting Windows.
- Click on Keep my files to choose that option.
- Choose the Cloud download or Local reinstall option that you prefer.
- Click Next to bring up the final options.
- Select Reset to confirm.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.