Issue: How to fix error 0xC00D3E8E: The property is read only in Windows?
Hello. I was trying to delete some unnecessary files from my hard drive and was unable to due to the 0xC00D3E8E error. I clicked the Try Again button, only to receive the same message. I am not sure why these files can't be deleted as they are simple mp3 files I don't need anymore. Any ideas?
Several users have reported the 0xC00D3E8E error while modifying files on their Windows computers. It occurs while trying to remove, cut, rename or apply other modifications to multimedia file types such as MOV or MP4. The error typically shows up after the confirmation prompt that users see soon after the action they are trying to conduct.
When trying to modify the file, users reported receiving the following message:
An unexpected error is keeping you from applying properties to the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.
Error 0xC00D3E8E: The property is read only.
Moving files from one place to another, deleting them, or changing their name is a standard process that most Windows users are accustomed to. Unfortunately, errors such as 0x80007005, “The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program“, “Could not find this item,” and others, can prevent them from doing so – which can be extremely frustrating, especially when the root cause of the problem is difficult to determine.
0xC00D3E8E is not an exception in this case, as there could be numerous reasons for it to occur. Unfortunately, the error message does not provide any insight on why the file can't be deleted or what is causing the issue. There have been several reasons for the error identified, which include:
- Corrupted system files (one of the most common problems that cause multiple errors on Windows computers)
- Failed or incorrectly installed Windows update
- The file in question has wrong permission settings
- Corrupted metadata of the file.
Therefore, in order to fix the 0xC00D3E8E error, you might have to apply several solutions that we provide below before you find the one that works for you. Before you do, we strongly recommend you try FortectMac Washing Machine X9 repair software that can repair many underlying Windows issues automatically (registry errors, corrupted system files, BSODs, etc.), saving you a lot of time in the process. It is excellent for those who lack experience on how Windows systems work and why certain errors occur due to one reason or another.
Fix 1. Run File and folder troubleshooter
There are several built-in troubleshooters available Windows systems. However, not all of them are available, and some need to be downloaded.
- Visit the official Microsoft download website
- Click Download and wait till it is complete
- Locate and double-click the downloaded file winfilefolder.DiagCab (or click once from the browser)
- Click Next, select the issue which applies to you and pick Next again
- Wait till the process is complete and see if the issue has been resolved.
Fix 2. Install all the available Windows updates
- Type Updates in Windows search bar and press Enter
- Here, if you see Optional quality updates available, click Download and install
- Otherwise, click Check for updates
- Once the new updates are apply, restart your computer.
Fix 3. Run SFC and DISM
If system files are corrupted, you might encounter this error. Here's how to fix that:
- Type cmd in Windows search
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- Type sfc /scannow and hit Enter
- Wait till the scan is complete
- If damaged files were repaired, restart the computer. If the scan could not repair the found issues, use the following command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Fix 4. Take ownership of the file
- Right-click on the file in question and select Properties
- Go to Security tab and click Advanced at the bottom
- If the owner is not you, click on Change
- Here, you should type in your username or Administrator if you are using an administrator account
- Click Check names and click OK.
Fix 5. Modify the file in Safe Mode
Safe Mode is Windows mode which allows actions which are otherwise restricted.
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings
- Go to Update & Security section
- Click Recovery on the left side of the window
- On the right side, find Advanced startup section and click Restart now
- Once restarted, choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and Restart
- Next, select 5/F5 option to access Safe Mode with Networking
- After you get in, try to modify the file in question.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.