Issue: How to fix KB5023778 fails to install in Windows 11?
Hello. I've been trying to update my Windows 11 recently with KB5023778, but it keeps failing with the error 0x800f0922. Any things I can do to resolve this? I never had issues with installing Windows updates before…
Regular updates are an important part of maintaining a stable and secure operating system. Microsoft puts special effort into delivering new bug fixes, vulnerability patches, and other improvements on a regular basis. These updates are usually released on the second Tuesday of every month and are designed to improve the overall performance and security of the system.
On March 21, 2023, Microsoft released the KB5023778 update for Windows, which was a routine update including various fixes and improvements, such as notifications for the Start menu, enhancements to Microsoft Defender and Endpoint, and fixes related to various Microsoft apps. However, some users have reported issues with installing this update.
KB5023778 may fail to install with no further clarification or error messages, making it difficult to determine the root cause of the issue. In some cases, users may receive error codes such as 0x800f0922 or 0x80070002, which provide some insight into the cause of the problem.
The most common cause of the KB5023778 update failing to install is conflicts with other software or corrupted system files. These conflicts may prevent the update from being installed correctly or may cause the update process to fail. Additionally, some users have reported issues with their internet connection or incorrectly set services.
To ensure that your system remains secure and up-to-date, it is important to address any issues with installing the KB5023778 update promptly. Before proceeding with manual steps, we highly recommend you run an automatic PC repair tool FortectMac Washing Machine X9, which can promptly locate corrupted system files and repair them for you, resolving BSODs, DLL errors, registry corruption, malware-caused damage, and more.
1. Run troubleshooters
- In Windows search, type in troubleshoot and press Enter (you can also go to Start > Settings > System > Troubleshoot).
- Pick Other trouble-shooters (in Windows 10, pick Additional troubleshooters).
- Scroll down to locate the Windows Update option and click Run.
- Wait until the scan is finished, apply the changes, and try running the update process again.
2. Disable security or other software
Disabling third-party security software can sometimes resolve Windows update errors because these types of programs can interfere with the Windows update process. Third-party security software, such as antivirus programs, can sometimes mistakenly identify Windows updates as a security threat and block them from being installed. This can result in Windows update errors and prevent updates from being installed on your system.
Firewalls, VPNs, and other network-related apps can also cause issues with Windows updates by blocking connections or interfering with network settings. To resolve these issues, temporarily disabling or uninstalling these apps may be necessary. This will allow the Windows update process to proceed without interference and ensure your system remains up-to-date, and KB5023778 will finally be installed.
3. Check the services
Windows Services are software programs that run in the background of a Windows operating system, providing functionality that can be accessed by other software programs or the operating system itself. Windows Services are often used for critical functions such as security, networking, or system management. Windows updates might sometimes fail when BITS, Windows Update, or Cryptographic services are not running.
- Type in Services in Windows search and hit Enter.
- Scroll down a bit to find Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).
- If it is already running, right-click and select Restart.
- If the service is not running, double-click it, pick Automatic under the Startup type drop-down menu.
- Click Start, Apply, and OK.
- Repeat this process for Windows Update and Cryptographic services.
4. Check for corrupted files
- Type cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator.
- UAC (User Account Control) will ask whether you want to allow changes – click Yes.
- Next, type in the following command and press Enter:
- When done, run the following commands as well:
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Restart your system.
5. Reset Windows Update Components
- Open Command Prompt as administrator again
- In the new window, paste in each of these commands, pressing Enter every time:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*”
rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Restart your device.
6. Run network troubleshooter
- Click the Start button and select Settings.
- Go to Network & Internet section.
- Here, locate the Advanced network settings section.
- Click the Network troubleshooter to run it.
- Wait for the scan to finish, and apply the recommended fixes.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.