Issue: How to Fix No Internet Connection after Malware Removal?
I’ve have found Shopping Helper malware on my machine and removed it. Strangely, after that I can’t connect to the Internet. The error says: “The proxy server isn’t responding.” What could have happened? Please help!
Although malware is not that dangerous as ransomware, Trojan, worm or another virus, they are developed in a tricky manner as well. In order to display tens of pop-up ads or redirect people to particular third-party websites, malware is not only set to inject Host files into the operating system and web browsers, but also modify proxy server and DNS (Domain Name System) settings. As a consequence, the users of a malware infected PCs cannot access particular websites, such as IT-related forums or pages that provide malware removal tutorials. Even more, Internet connection may be absolutely lost, but this usually happens with the more serious PC infections because adware, browser hijackers or support scam malware types require Internet space to display advertisements.
Unfortunately, but quite often when the malware is deleted, the proxy server and DNS settings are not restored to the previous states, especially when the removal is performed manually, which is why Internet connection may be lost. If you can’t open any website on your web browser (Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, etc.) and receive the window saying that “The proxy server isn’t responding” or something similar, it means that malware has left its footprint and you have to delete it as well.
How to Fix Lost Internet Connection after Malware Removal?
If you cannot access Internet after malware removal, you will have to reset proxy and DNS settings to default, as well as reset the settings on each of your web browsers. Thus, do not wait any longer and re-establish your Internet connection.
Step 1. Reset the settings of Proxy server
- Open Internet Explorer (or Microsoft Edge) and click on the gear icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Internet Options and click on the Connections tab.
- Select LAN settings, unmark Use a proxy server for your LAN option, and click OK.
Step 2. Reset the DNS settings
- Right-click on the network connection icon that is placed on the toolbar (lower right corner) and select Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on the type of your Internet connection (e.g. Ethernet) and then select Properties.
- Mark Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option by clicking once on it and then select Properties.
- Finally, click Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
- Click OK and close the network connection window.
Step 3. Reset web browser’s settings
- Click on Menu button (three horizontal lines on the right-top corner). Select Setting.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you should find Show advanced settings.
- At the bottom of this window, find and click Reset browser.
- When the confirmation window shows up, click Reset and close everything.
- Click on the gear icon (right top corner) and select Internet Options.
- When dialogue box opens, select Advanced (top right corner) and click Reset.
- A confirmation window will ask you if you are sure that you want to restore Internet Explorer settings. If you are, click Reset.
- After that, close everything.
- Click Menu button (three horizontal lines at the top right corner) and select Help.
- Choose Troubleshooting Information.
- If you are not allowed to access Help, type about:support in the address bar.
- Click Reset Firefox option (top right corner).
- Read every line on the confirmation window and if you agree, click on Reset Firefox.
- The browser will close automatically. After that, select Finish and check if the Internet connection has been restored.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: