Issue: How to fix "Unexpected Error" in Windows Defender?
Hello. I tried to use Windows Defender to run a scam but I received a message saying “Unexpected Error.” What could be the problem?
Windows Defender or Microsoft Defender Antivirus is an anti-malware component of Microsoft Windows. It provides some basic functions when it comes to operating system security. It can warn users about malware infections and other cybersecurity threats.
When Windows Defender first came out, it only protected users from spyware. Now, people can feel safe when using Windows without third-party antivirus software. However, sometimes people run into issues when trying to use it. Users report receiving an “Unexpected Error” when trying to run a scan. The full message reads as follows:
Threat service has stopped. Restart it now.
Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again.
While it is unknown what exactly could cause the Windows Defender to produce this error, we prepared 6 steps that could help you fix it. The problem is suspected to appear because of missing updates, third-party antivirus interference, or the Security Center service.
Manual troubleshooting can become a lengthy process, so you can also use a maintenance tool like RestoroMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Method 1. Install Windows Updates
- Type Updates in Windows search
- Click Check for updates and wait till the process is finished
- If optional updates are available, install them too
- Once done, restart your system
Method 2. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Method 3. Uninstall Third-Party Security Software
Your third-party antivirus program could be interfering with Windows Defender, resulting in an error. We suggest you try to uninstall the software and see if the issue disappears.
- Go to Apps & Features
- Find your antivirus in the list and click on it
- Press Uninstall and finish the process
Method 4. Restart the Security Center Service
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run box
- Type services.msc and hit Enter
- In Services, search for Security Center
- Right-click on Security Center and click on Restart
Method 5. Change Registry Key Values
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run box
- Type Regedit and press Enter
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
- Change both DisableAntiSpyware and DisableAntiVirus values to 0 by double-clicking
- If the keys are not showing, right-click on an empty space, select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Name the key DisableAntiSpyware and set the value to 0
- Do the same for DisableAntiVirus
Method 6. Perform a Repair Upgrade
- Download the Windows 10 ISO file from the official Microsoft website
- If you agree to the license terms, select Accept
- On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC and then select Next
- Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10
- In Select which media you want to use, Select ISO file then click Next
- Select the download location then click Save
- Windows 10 ISO file will be downloaded
- Right-click Windows 10 ISO file and click Mount
- Open Setup.exe
- To get important updates, select Download and install updates
- Ensure that Keep personal files and applications is checked
- Click on Install to start the upgrade
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.
- ^ Malware. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- ^ Chris Hoffman. Everything You Need To Know About the Blue Screen of Death. Howtogeek. Tech Insight Magazine.
- ^ Tim Fisher. What Is the Windows Registry?. Lifewire. Software and Apps.