Issue: How to fix USB Printer not detected in Windows?
Hello. I recently upgraded my Windows laptop and when I try to plug in my printer via the USB connection it is not detected. What should I do?
People have the ability to connect various devices to their Windows computers. There is a wide range of output peripherals, like speakers, headphones, printers, etc. When trying to connect them, people can experience difficulties for whatever reason. For example, we recently wrote about the headphone jack not recognized in Windows 11 issue.
People also report their USB printers not being detected in Windows. Such problems can appear after performing a Windows upgrade or reinstallation as some configurations can get lost during the process. Running a built-in troubleshooter should fix minor problems.
However, it is possible that the USB printer is not detected because the printer drivers are outdated. You should also check if your operating system is up-to-date as missing updates can cause various malfunctions. Most importantly, check if the problem is not the USB port itself by trying to plug in another device.
In this guide, you will find 5 steps that should help you fix USB Printer not detected in Windows. Keep in mind that manual troubleshooting can be a lengthy process so you can use a maintenance tool like RestoroMac Washing Machine X9. It can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Run the Printer Troubleshooter
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows + I key
- Select Update & Security > Troubleshoot
- Select Additional troubleshooters
- Select Printer and hit Run the troubleshooter
- Wait for a minute until your system detects and fixes the problem automatically
Solution 2. Update Printer Drivers
- Press the Windows key and type Device Manager into the search bar
- Click on the Device Manager option
- Locate the printer device
- Right-click on the device driver name and select Update driver
- Select the Search automatically for updated driver software option
- The system should automatically search for available drivers
- Finally, restart Windows to finish up with the installation
- You can also use DriverFix as the automatic driver updater software as it finds and installs needed drivers from its database automatically choosing the right ones
Solution 3. Install Windows Updates
When you update, you will get the latest fixes and security improvements, helping your device run efficiently and stay protected:
- Type Updates in Windows search and press Enter
- On the right side of the window, click Check for updates
- Install all the optional updates as well
- Restart your PC
Solution 4. Restart Print Spooler
- Press Windows + R to open the Run box
- Type services.msc and hit OK
- Scroll down and look for the print spooler service
- Right-click on the print spooler
- Once the menu appears select Restart
- If the service is not started, right-click on print spooler select properties
- Change the startup type to automatic
- Choose to start the service under the status
- Hit ok and apply to save changes
- Now try to connect to the printer
Solution 5. Set the Printer as Default
- Open the Control Panel
- Click on View devices and printers under the Hardware and sound section
- Select the printer you want to set as the default and click on Set as default
- If you don’t see an option to set a printer as default, use the Let Windows manage my default printer option
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.
- ^ Device driver. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- ^ Chris Hoffman. Everything You Need To Know About the Blue Screen of Death. Howtogeek. Tech Insight Magazine.
- ^ Tim Fisher. What Is the Windows Registry?. Lifewire. Software and Apps.