Issue: How to Fix „Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings“ on Windows 10?
A couple of days ago, I‘ve noticed a small red triangle, apparently a caution sign, which occurs with my network icon on the task bar. If I click on that sign, I receive a notification saying: „Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings.“
I‘ve found out that many netizens are dealing with the same issue, but could not find a proper solution. Could you please recommend something? Thanks in advance!
“Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings” is a notification delivered by Windows Actions or Notification center when there is an issue related to the proxy settings. Usually, Windows inform people about particular malfunctions by means of pop-up alerts or BSOD errors. Unlike these types of errors, the signs of the issues on network proxy settings are disclosed implicitly.
First of all, people may start noticing Internet connection disorders, for instance, the Internet connection may be lost and then reestablished automatically, the connection may become slow, and similar.
Soon after that, the network icon, which is shown at the bottom-right corner of the screen alongside the battery icon, gets marked with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. Naturally, such sign draws people‘s attention, so when they click it, the error “Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings is disclosed.
While initially this problem occurred on Windows 7 and 8 a couple of years ago, Microsoft engineers haven‘t solved it completely, so it has „successfully“ been transferred to Windows 10 OS.
At the moment of writing, thousands of Windows 10 users are looking forward to get the instructions on how to fix „Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings“ error. Up until this happens, you may try a couple of workarounds that helped lots of people.
How to Fix „Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings“ on Windows 10?
The first thing that you should try to fix „Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings“ bug is to run a scan with a professional anti-malware, such as Reimage. These days virus infections are seriously dangerous and can initiate various system-related issues, including Internet connection and proxy.
If the scan find zero infections, then try to disable your anti-virus temporarily and check if the problem vanished. Most likely it didn‘t, so please try the following methods:
Method 1. Use System Restore
Windows 10 OS has a great service known as System Restore Point. It allows people to undo the changes performed on the system , which is very useful in case the system starts to malfunction. Thus, if you have created a System Restore Point earlier, it‘s about time to use that point. Many people have reported that this solution has helped to fix „Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings“ error.
- Click Win key + X and select System Protection on the right pane.
- If a UAC appears, click Yes to proceed.
- Select System Restore, click Choose a different restore point and Next.
- Pick out the restore point you would like to restore Windows back to and click Scan for affected programs.
- Carefully analyze what modifications will be initiated and click Close.
- When you are ready to restore the system, click Next.
- Wait for the process to complete and click Finish.
- Once you click Yes, the System Restore Point will be completely launched and the system restart atomaticaly.
Method 2. Check Internet Options
- Click Win key + X and select Control Panel.
- Select Network and Internet and open Internet Options.
- At the top of the window, select Connections tab.
- Click LAN settings at the bottom of the window and check if the Proxy Server is unchecked (the third checkbox). If it is checked with a tick, remove it.
Once done, open your web browser and check the settings as well. For example, check Firefox‘s settings:
- Open Firefox and select Tools.
- Go to Options -> Advanced Connections -> Settings.
- The settings should be set as either Use System Proxy Settings or No Proxy.
Method 3. Reset TCP/IP
- Click Win key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt command and press Enter.
- Once the command is executed, reboot your PC.
Some experts recommend resetting the adapter, but this solution does not appear to be popular. Most of the people claim that the problem is not related to the adapter because other devices are successfully connected to the Internet using the same adapter.
Nevertheless, if you feel helpless and want to try everything, you can find information how to reset adapter here.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: