Issue: How to Fix Windows Defender Automatically Disabled by Group Policy?
When I try to enable Windows Defender, I get the “This app is turned off by group policy” error. I use Windows 7. Could someone please help?
People keep complaining about Windows Defender that gets automatically disabled by the system. This problem often lead to the “This app is turned off by group policy” error, which manifests on Windows 7 and 10 when trying to turn Windows Defender on.
Windows Defender is the security software developed by Microsoft and built-into all Windows OS versions. Nevertheless, the program’s protective functions differ according to the OS version. In Windows 7 and Vista, it works as an anti-spyware only, meaning that it won’t protect PC’s from cyber infections like the notorious WannaCry.
When dealing with Windows 8.1 and 10, it runs as multifunctional anti-virus software, which is capable of detecting and eliminating threats like PUP, adware, spyware, virus, Trojan, keylogger, and so on.
While the trustworthiness of the Windows Defender is still being questioned by specialist, the fact is that it is fully compatible with Windows OS and uses much less CPU both while performing a full scan and working in the background. The problem is that for most people Windows Defender is turned off by Group Policy and cannot be enabled.
It doesn’t matter which Windows OS version you use. “This app is turned off by group policy” error can occur on any of them once different security software gets installed. In Windows 8.1 and 10, the system turns Windows Defender off by default when alternative antivirus or a program that is not compatible with it gets installed. Since in Windows Vista and 7 it works as an antispyware only, Windows Defender does not disconnect itself every time, but “This app is turned off by group policy” error also indicates the presence of another security tool or another incompatible program.
Fix Windows Defender automatically disabled by Group Policy error on Windows 7 and 10
If you don’t prefer using Windows Defender, then leave it as it is. The “This app is turned off by group policy” error will occur only if you try to open Defender or run a scan with it, so it should not distract your work with PC. If you are satisfied with another security program, leave it as your primary one and forget about the “This app is turned off by group policy.”
If, however, you opt for using Windows Defender, first of all, make sure to uninstall third-party anti-virus tool if you are using Windows 8.1 or 10. In case of Windows 7 or Vista, you should try installing another anti-virus program or enabling Windows Essentials. In, after all, Group Policy keeps disabling Windows Defender, here’s what fixes you can try:
Method 1. Open Group Policy
- Log on to your PC with administrative privileges.
- Then press Windows key + R to open Run, type gpedit.msc, and hit Enter.
- Alternatively, you can type gpedit.msc in Windows search.
- When Group Policy opens, open Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Defender.
- Select Windows Defender Antivirus option.
- Now double-click on the Turn off Windows Defender option.
- Select Disabled and click OK to save the changes.
Fix 2. Open Windows Registry Editor
- Press Windows key + R to open Run dialog.
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- Use the left pane to navigate to the HKey_Local_Machine\\Software\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows Defender path.
- Remove the DisableAntiSpyware key. To do that, double click on the REG –DWORD and set its value to 0.
- If you cannot change its value, then remove the whole key.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.
- ^ Michael Horowitz . Windows Defender does not defend Windows 7 against WannaCry . ComputerWorld. The Voice of Business Technology.
- ^ Gabriel E. Hall . 98% of WannaCry ransomware victims were Windows 7 users. 2Spyware. News articles, clear and professionally-written parasite descriptions, detailed removal guides, anti-spyware and anti-virus software reviews.
- ^ What is a Trojan Virus?. Kaspersky.