Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0xca020007?
Hello. I tried to install updates on my Windows 10 PC but I received the 0xca020007 error. What should I do to fix this?
Windows updates are essential for keeping the operating system running smoothly. Updates offer bug fixes, new features, and security patches which are particularly important because hackers can use software vulnerabilities to deliver their malicious programs. However, for many different reasons, sometimes Windows updates fail to install.
Recently, some users received the 0xca020007 error when trying to install updates. It is unknown why exactly this error appears. Generally, Windows updates fail to install because of malfunctioning Windows updates, system file corruption, files in the SoftwareDistribution folder, etc.
In this guide, you will find 6 steps that should help you install the update successfully. Minor issues can be fixed automatically with the built-in update troubleshooter. If all quick steps fail to fix the issue, you should use the Media Creation Tool to update your Windows device.
Keep in mind, that manual troubleshooting can become a lengthy process. You can use a maintenance tool like RestoroMac Washing Machine X9 that can scan your machine and fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Run the Update Troubleshooter
- Press the Windows + X keys and go to Settings
- Go to Update and Security
- Click Troubleshooter
- Select Additional troubleshooters
- Run the Update troubleshooter
Solution 2. Repair Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 3. Clear the SoftwareDistribution Folder
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run command box
- Type services.msc and click OK
- In the Services control panel locate the Windows Update service
- Right-click on the Windows Update service and select Stop
- Now open Windows Explorer and navigate to: C:\Windows folder
- Find the SoftwareDistribution folder and Delete its contents
Solution 4. Restart Windows Update Service
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run window
- Type services.msc and press Enter
- Find the Windows Update service
- Right-click on it and select Properties
- Change the Startup type to Automatic
- Click on Apply button to save the changes
- Start the Windows Update service by clicking on the Start button
- If your service is already enabled then click on Restart
- Reboot your computer and check if the issue is fixed
Solution 5. Install the Update Manually
Whenever Windows updates fail to install automatically, you can always try doing it manually. First, you need to find out which KB number is relevant to you.
- Right-click Start button and pick Settings
- Go to Update & Security
- On the right, locate and click View update history
- From the list, note the KB number that fails to install with the error code
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog page, type in the KB number and press Search
- Download the update and install it manually
Solution 6. Update via Media Creation Tool
- Download Windows 10 installation media from the official website
- Open the tool once it installed
- Agree to license terms
- Choose Upgrade this PC now
- Wait for the update to be installed
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.
- ^ How Hackers Hack 101: The Use of Vulnerabilities & Exploits. Websitesecuritystore. Web Security Blog.
- ^ Chris Hoffman. Everything You Need To Know About the Blue Screen of Death. Howtogeek. Tech Insight Magazine.
- ^ Tim Fisher. What Is the Windows Registry?. Lifewire. Software and Apps.