Issue: How to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x8024402c?
I cannot install Windows Updates due to 0x8024402c error. How can I fix it?
Error Code 0x8024402c is one of several Windows Update errors. It usually occurs when Windows cannot search for new updates. This problem typically appears when there’re issues with Internet connection settings. The correct and strong connection is necessary for Windows Update Server.
The main causes of the 0x8024402c error:
- proxy server problems,
- incorrect Firewall settings,
- junk files,
- the computer is connected to a local network (LAN),
- incorrect time settings.
Nevertheless, Windows 8, 7 or Vista users are most likely to encounter this error; Windows 10 users might face this issue as well. Fortunately, there are few ways how you can fix the 0x8024402c error.
There’s no doubt that installing updates is important. Keeping software and operating system up-to-date prevents malware taking advantages of security vulnerabilities and hack the computer. Thus, do not hesitate and try the methods presented in the second part of the article.
Methods to fix 0x8024402c error
First of all, you should make sure that your computer’s time is synchronized with an Internet clock. If it’s not the problem, you should also scan the device with security software, such as Reimage, in order to make sure than any cyber infection is not blocking Windows updates.
Method 1. Fix issues with proxy
First of all, you have to remove invalid characters in proxy exception list:
1. Open Internet Explorer;
2. Click on the Gear Icon located at the right top of the window;
3. Choose Internet Options and open Connections Tab;
4. Got to LAN settings, and check the box near “Use a proxy server for your LAN”
5. Open Advanced tab;
6. Delete everything in “Do not use a proxy server for addresses beginning with” field;
7. Click OK.
Then you have to clear proxy cache by following these steps:
1. Open the command prompt: type cmd in windows search bar and choose it from the results list;
2. When in command prompt, enter these commands and press Enter after typing each of them:
netsh winhttp reset proxy
net stop wuauserv
net start wuauserv
Once it’s done, the error code 0x8024402c should be fixed. If not, try the second method.
Method 2. Fix Firewall settings
Incorrect Firewall settings might be the cause of the error. Thus, turning on or off Firewall might help to fix the issue.
1. Open a command prompt;
2. Type Firewall.cpl and click Enter;
3. Select “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off” option;
4. Open Private Settings option and choose “Turn off Windows firewall.” Repeat this step again for Public Network Setting;
5. Click OK.
Now you should check Windows updates. Hopefully, the issue will be solved. If not, opt for the third method.
Method 3. Remove junk files
Junk files might be the reason why Windows cannot search for and install new updates. Thus, clear them and try to install updates:
1. Run command prompt as administrator;
2. Type cleanmgr and click Enter;
3. Wait until tool scans the system. Once it delivers results click OK to delete all junk files.
Method 4. Enable Automatic Detect settings
Enabling automatic detection might help to solve Windows update error 0x8024402c. The problem might be that your computer does not know how to connect to the Internet:
1. Open Internet Explorer;
2. Open the Gear icon and choose Internet Options;
3. Go to Connections tab and choose LAN settings;
4. In the Local Area Network (LAN) settings window check the box “Automatically detect settings”
5. Click OK.
Method 5. Configure Updates Client
If none of the previous methods helped to solve the error, you should try following these steps:
1. Open Registry Editor by typing regedit to Run dialogue box (type run into Windows search bar and choose it from the results list);
2. Click OK and then Yes in the User Account Control prompt;
3. When in Registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsUpdate > AU;
4. Double-click on UseWUServe, which is on the right pane of AU key. In the Value data box enter 0 and click OK;
5. Close Registry Editor and try to install updates.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: