Issue: How to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x8024402c?
Hello. I always try to keep my Windows up do date and usually I have no problems. However, when I tried to install recent updates, i couldn't because of the error 0x8024402c. I am not sure how to fix it? Could you help me? Thanks
Windows Updates are an essential part of computer security, and never should be delayed. System updates patch the critical vulnerabilities that can be abused cybercriminals to infect machines with malware, as well as increase the stability of the operation. Therefore, when errors like 0x8024402c prevent users from installing updates, the issue should be fixed immediately.
Error Code 0x8024402c is one of multiple Windows Update errors (such as 0x80242006, 0x80070013, and many others) and users encounter it usually when Windows cannot search for new updates. In most cases, users fail to update their OS because of internet connection issues, as stable internet is necessary for Windows Update Server to connect to the device.
A 0x8024402c error can also occur due to several other reasons, such as:
- proxy server problems,
- incorrect Firewall settings,
- junk files,
- the computer is connected to a local network (LAN),
- incorrect time settings.
In most cases, 0x8024402c error is encountered on Windows 8, 7 or Vista devices, although some Windows 10 users are affected as well. Fortunately, there are several steps that you can take in order to fix 0x8024402c error on your Windows machine.
There are several ways to fix 0x8024402c error. And one that will solve the problem for somebody might not work for the other person. Therefore, we suggest you first make regular checks, such as a computer scan, before trying out 0x8024402c fix methods provided below.
General practices for 0x8024402c error fix
First of all, you should make sure that your computer’s time is synchronized with an Internet clock. If it’s not the problem, you can quickly fix 0x8024402c error by changing your time settings. Additionally, you should scan the device with security software, such as Reimage, in order to make sure that no malware is blocking Windows updates.
Method 1. Fix proxy issues
First of all, you have to remove invalid characters in the proxy exception list:
- In Cortana's search box, type in Internet Options and click on the search result
- Go to Connections tab and select LAN settings
- Check the box near “Use a proxy server for your LAN”
- Open Advanced tab;
- Delete everything in “Do not use a proxy server for addresses beginning with” field;
- Click OK.
Then you have to clear proxy cache by following these steps:
- Open the command prompt: type cmd in windows search bar and choose it from the results list;
- When in command prompt, enter these commands and press Enter after typing each of them:
netsh winhttp reset proxy
net stop wuauserv
net start wuauserv
Once it’s done, the error code 0x8024402c should be fixed. If not, try the second method.
Method 2. Temporarily disable Windows Defender Firewall
Incorrect Firewall settings might be the cause of the error. Thus, turning off Firewall might help to fix the issue.
- Type Firewall.cpl in the search box and hit Enter;
- Select “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off” option;
- Under Private Network Settings choose “Turn off Windows firewall.” Repeat this step again for Public Network Settings;
- Click OK.
Now you should check Windows updates. Hopefully, the issue will be solved. If not, opt for the third method.
Method 3. Remove junk files
Junk files might be the reason why Windows cannot search for and install new updates. Thus, clear them and try to install updates:
- Type cmd into the search box and select Run as administrator from search results
- Hit Enter
- Type cleanmgr and click Enter;
- Wait until tool scans the system. Once it delivers results click OK to delete all junk files.
Method 4. Enable Automatic Settings Detection
Enabling automatic detection might help to solve Windows update error 0x8024402c. The problem might be that your computer does not know how to connect to the Internet:
- Type in Internet Options into the search box and click on the search result
- Go to Connections tab and select LAN settings
- In the Local Area Network (LAN) settings window check the box “Automatically detect settings”
- Click OK.
Method 5. Make use of Windows Updates Troubleshooter
Troubleshooter is a built-in tool that might be able to help you detect errors automatically:
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings
- Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot
- Click on Windows Update and pick Run the troubleshooter
Method 6. Configure Updates Client
If none of the previous methods helped to solve the error, you should try following these steps (note that tampering with Windows Registry may damage your system and we are not responsible for any damage caused):
- Open Registry Editor by typing regedit to Run dialogue box (type run into Windows search bar and choose it from the results list);
- Click OK and then Yes in the User Account Control prompt;
- When in Registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsUpdate > AU;
- Double-click on UseWUServe, which is on the right pane of AU key. In the Value data box enter 0 and click OK;
Close Registry Editor and try to install updates.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.