Issue: How to Remove Csrss.exe File on Windows?
I’ve noticed Csrss.exe process on Task Manager sucking up CPU. Sometimes CPU consumption reaches more than 40%, which I assume is a lot and may negatively influence my PC’s performance. Is this file important?
Csrss.exe file is not a core system file, which means that it can be removed without causing negative effects to system’s performance. In fact, this file is known as a Miner Trojan, which purpose is to exploit target PC’s processor and subsequently mine the MonaCoin (MONA) digital currency. The Csrss.exe Trojan misuses GPU and CPU power mine MonaCoin and protects itself from being removed. The existence of this malicious file may significantly slow down the PC and may open backdoor on the system to download other malicious programs. That’s why it’s advisable to remove Csrss.exe Trojan without a delay.
How Csrss.exe MonaCoin Miner Trojan functions?
Csrss.exe is distributed using various shady methods, such as malicious ads, links, encoded websites, in a pack with bundled freewares, and similar. Once installed, this Trojan creates the C:\\Windows\\svchost.exe executable, which furthermore launches the C:\\Windows\\Csrss.exe process. Although the svchost.exe is a legitimate Windows process, its name is often misused by malware developers to disguise malicious applications and prevent people from removing it.
When the two mentioned processes start to run, it means that the target PC has successfully been connected with the mining pool at mona.suprnova.cc. From that moment, the PC’s GPU and CPU power is utilized for mining MonaCoin, which is why PC’s performance may significantly decrease. According to the BleepingComputer, the following are the side effects of the Csrss.exe error:
- Multiple Csrss.exe processes running in Task Manager.
- Csrss.exe process using up to 90% of CPU.
- C:\\Windows\\Csrss.exe process with a descripton of Процесс исполнения клиент-сервер in Task Manager.
- C:\\Windows\\Svchost.exe process with a description of Хост-процесс для служб Windows in Task Manager.
- Computer’s slowdowns.
- Long system’s boot up sessions.
Removing Csrss.exe Trojan
It’s practically impossible to uninstall Csrss.exe Miner Trojan because there’s no apps associate with it. Besides, the processes starts automatically, so you may sometimes find it running, while sometimes not. Besides, the Trojan may have some browser helpers, so trying to remove it may end up with various errors. If you are not allowed to disable Csrss.exe or another malicious process, you can use Rkill utility, which temporarily stops malicious processes and enable the PC user to remove them. Once Rkill is launched, boot your PC into Safe Mode and immediately run a scan with a professional anti-malware. We would recommend using Reimage.
Malicious processes like Csrss.exe can also be disabled manually. If you want to try manual fix in gthe first place, please follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + R and type “services.msc”. Click OK.
- Locate the Automatic Updates service and double-click on it. Check if Log On tab is selected by default.
- Deselect the option “Allow service to interact with desktop”.
- Find General tab and check whether start-up is set to Automatic. If not, change it to Automatic.
- Now open Service Status section. Enable it by pressing Start.
- Repeat it again for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- Then right-click on Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type in REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL and press Enter.
- Once you see the message “DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded”, click OK.
- You should now do the same with the following commands:
- After thatm enter the net stop WuAuServ command in the Command Prompt and press Enter.
- Type cd %windir% and press Enter again.
- Type ren SoftwareDistribution SD_OLD.
- Then type net start WuAuServ and close Command Prompt.
If that did not help, the only way to remove the Csrss.exe is to kill the process and scan the system with a professional anti-malware.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions:
This patented repair process uses a database of 25 million components that can replace any damaged or missing file on user's computer.
To repair damaged system, you have to purchase the licensed version of Reimage malware removal tool.