Issue: How to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials?
Hello. Every time I boot my Windows 10 PC I get an error message about Microsoft Security Essentials. I thought that re-installing the program might fix the problem, so I tried doing that. However, I could not do it manually as I do with other programs. Please help as this error is really annoying!
Users typically encounter problems removing Microsoft Security Essentials after they upgrade to Windows 10 from a previous version. Microsoft stated that after upgrading to the newest Windows version, Microsoft Security Essentials should automatically uninstall itself.
Windows 10 sometimes freaks out because, initially, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender are same tools. Thus, none of them end up working, and users are left with the only option – uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials themselves.
However, as soon as they try to remove Microsoft Security Essentials by using Add/Remove function in Control Panel, they see that operating system does not allow them to do that. It drops the following error message:
Microsoft Security Essentials Installation Error
You don’t need to install Microsoft Security Essentials.
Error code 0x8004FF6F
Additionally, some users report that they cannot find the application in the list at all.
There might be another reason you are getting problems with Microsoft Security Essentials; mainly, because it is not real program from Microsoft. Recently, a fake security software appeared on world wide web called Microsoft Securoty Essentials.
All in all, we compiled a list of solutions for Microsoft Security Essentials removal problems, so keep on reading.
Method 1. Uninstall anti-spyware programs
Sometimes security programs can conflict with each other. Thus, if you have an anti-virus software installed on your PC, try removing it and checking if that helps:
- Click on Start and select Settings
- Find Apps and then select the security program that is installed on your PC
- Select Uninstall and follow on-screen instructions
Method 2. Download Microsoft’s Fix It tool
Microsoft released a great tool capable of fixing the MSE uninstallation problem
- Download the tool here
- Close all programs and start the launcher
- Follow on-screen instructions and install the program.
- Reboot your PC
Method 3. Manually remove Microsoft Security Essentials by modifying registry keys
WARNING! Modifying registry keys incorrectly can damage the operating system. To avoid negative consequences, create a backup point:
- Click on Start and enter Control Panel into the search box
- Hit Enter and open Control Panel
- Pick System and Security -> Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
- On the left side of the window, click Create a system image
- When asked where do you want to create the backup, pick On a hard disk
- Next, click Start backup button.
After completing the backup procedure, follow these steps:
- Click Start -> File Explorer
- Go to Program Files (by default located on C:\\Program Files) and find Microsoft Security Client
- Find Setup.exe, right-click it and select Properties
- Click the Change settings for all users box
- Change the compatibility mode to Windows 7 and then press OK
The final step is to remove the program through Command Prompt:
- Click Start again and type in Command Prompt
- Right-click the program and give it admin rights
- When Command Prompt window opens, insert the following line and hit Enter:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Security Client\\setup.exe” /x /disableoslimit
This action should launch MSE uninstaller. Merely click Uninstall and you are done!
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions: