Issue: How to fix disappearing cursor issue in Windows 10?
Hello, today I logged into my computer that is running Windows 10, and unfortunately, the cursor did not appear on the screen. How am I supposed to navigate and control the computer now? I can’t even solve the issue. Can you provide a fix for disappearing mouse issue?
Computer inputs are made either by mouse or keyboard – although that was not the case all the time. In the meantime, users so got used to this pointing device that using a computer without it seems like a nightmare – it happens when mouse cursor starts disappearing seemingly out of nowhere.
Of course, laptop owners also have a touchpad to rely on – they can use this device to fix mouse cursor disheartening or missing issues. However, PC users will have a much harder time if they have no touchpad to rely on. In the meantime, when the mouse cursor disappears, the affected users are unable to operate their machines normally.
In most cases, users believe that the disappearing mouse cursor comes suddenly and that the issue is not related to anything. However, in the majority of cases, the problem appears after Windows updates,, or after upgrading the operating system to a newer version (for example, Windows 8 to Windows 10). Additionally, this could also happen after the computer comes out of sleep.
However, just with every other Windows error and issue, there are multiple other reasons why the mouse cursor disappears. The problem could lie within the hardware itself – just like other devices, a mouse could break, or some of its components could become non-functional.
Therefore, before you proceed with the following mouse cursor disappearing fixes, you should perform the following tasks:
- Unplug and plug back in the mouse. Sometimes the mouse may bug out (just like any other device), and “rebooting” it by plugging it out and back into the USB socket might fix the issue.
- Try another mouse. If you have one more pointing device you can use – try plugging it, as your current one might simply be broken.
If these two methods did not help you fix cursor disappeared issue, proceed with the steps below. Note, you will have to navigate with your keyboard in some cases.
Fix cursor disappearing issue on Windows 10 laptop
Many users who reported cursor disappearing issue were using laptops of various brands, including Dell, Acer, HP, Asus, and others. On laptops, disabling mouse cursor is sometimes possible, and it is not always done on purpose. Therefore, try enabling your mouse with the help of your keyboard – simply press the following combinations (it all depends on your laptop brand):
Fn + F3/ Fn + F5/ Fn + F9/ Fn + F11
Method 1. Reboot your PC
Sometimes, all that it takes to fix a certain Windows issue is simply to restart the operating system. However, since you cannot use your mouse, you have to follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + X at the same time.
- Use arrow Up to select Shut down or sign out.
- Use the Right arrow to navigate to Restart option and then hit Enter.
- Wait until your PC reboots and try to move your mouse to see if the cursor appears on the screen.
Method 2. Enable the mouse
- Press down Windows key + R. In the Run window, type in main.cpl and press Enter.
- This should open Mouse Properties. Using arrow keys and TAB key, navigate to the Device Settings tab.
- Press TAB repetitiously until the dotted square appears on Enable button. Press Enter.
Method 3. Modify Pointer Options
- Launch the Run prompt by holding Windows key + R at the same time.
- Type main.cpl, press Enter.
- Using arrow keys and Tab key, reach Pointer Options tab and click Enter to open it.
- Press Tab key as many times as it takes you to reach Enhance pointer precision option. Deselect this option with Enter key.
- Navigate to Display pointer trails using the same Tab key. Use Enter key to enable this option.
- Now, use the same technique to uncheck Hide pointer while typing option.
- Finally, check Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key.
- Navigate to Apply, and then press Enter.
- Restart the system using technique explained in the method 1.
Method 4. Update drivers to fix the disappearing cursor issue
- Press down Windows key + R.
- In the Run prompt, enter devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
- Navigate through the list using Up and Down arrows. You may also need to use Tab key to navigate. Go to Mice and other pointing devices and then press the right arrow key.
- Then press Down arrow key to access a sub menu. Select your mouse device.
- Press down Shift and also F10 key at the same time.
- Use arrow keys to reach Properties menu. Press Enter.
- Now, use Tab key and press it as many times as it takes to reach the General tab.
- Use right arrow key to access Driver tab. Press Enter or Tab to open it.
- Press Tab key again as many times as it takes to select Update Driver… button. Press Enter.
- Using arrow keys, select the Search automatically for updated driver software option and hit Enter.
- Check if your cursor is still missing. In case there are no new updates, or they do not work, select Cancel button and press Enter.
- In the Properties window, see if the Roll Back Driver… is available. If it is, navigate to it using your keyboard keys and press Enter.
- Up and Down keys should be used to select the reason. Click Enter to confirm. Activate the Yes button to save.
Method 5. Scan your PC for malware
Malware can cause a variety of issues on Windows 10, including the disappearing mouse cursor. Therefore, we highly advise you scan your device with Microsoft Defender or another anti-malware program:
- Press Windows key + T once and then hit Tab.
- Press Enter to show hidden icons.
- Use arrow key Up to reach Microsoft Defender icon – press Enter.
- Press arrow key Down to select Virus & threat protection and press Enter.
- Press Tab to reach Scan options.
- Use tab till you reach Full scan, then press Spacebar.
- Press Tab to reach Scan now and hit Enter.
- Now wait for the scan to finish.
If you do not want your mouse to bother you in the future, we suggest using a computer maintenance tool like Reimage to prevent such problems in advance.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: