Issue: How to fix login error “The username or password is incorrect”?
Every time I start my PC, whether after sleep or restart, I get an error message “Other User. The username or password is incorrect”. My correct username is already in the login box, but I have to re-enter it to continue.
Although it’s not the greatest inconvenience in the world, it’s rather irritating and I would like to fix this sign-in twice issue. Thanks for any help!
“The username or password is incorrect” is a bug that emerged with the release of Windows 10 V1709, also known as the Fall Creators Update. This problem is often dubbed as “sign-in twice” error as it occurs on the log in screen after waking the system from sleep or rebooting it.
Although the user enters correct credentials, he/she receives the “The username or password is incorrect” and has to re-enter the username and password. This program occurs on Windows 10 V1709 version exceptionally and most frequently strikes PCs that were upgraded to latest Windows 10 build from earlier versions.
People get the “The username or password is incorrect” info before the Welcome screen. It may show up even if the user hasn’t even tried to enter a username or password. Entering the user credentials for the second time or dismissing the “The username or password is incorrect” error and entering the password and username anew usually provide access to the desktop.
Sign-in Screen Appears Twice in Fall Creators Update with “The username or password is incorrect” notification is not the worst Windows 10 bug. Nevertheless, it’s too irritating to be ignored. Many people reported that alongside login screen showing up twice, Windows 10 automatically logs in users after every system’s restart. In other words, if you are the User1 and reboot your PC as a User1, you may find your User2 as signed in user unexpectedly.
Microsoft has been informed about this bug and has already acknowledged it, so we expect that upcoming Cumulative Updates will patch the “The username or password is incorrect” error completely. Before that happens, you may fix the problem manually.
According to Windows enthusiasts, the “The username or password is incorrect” at login screen occurs due to the enabled “Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart” option. If it’s disabled on your PC, then you should try to disable Fast Startup or check the system for malware.
Turn off the “Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device” option
- Press Windows key + I and navigate to the Update & Security.
- Open Windows Update section and click Advanced options.
- Disable the Use my sign-in info setting to fix the problem(s).
- Then open the main window of the Settings and select Accounts.
- Open Sign-in options and click on Privacy on the left pane.
- Turn off Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart setting.
- Finally, reboot the system.
Disable Fast Startup
This option reduces the time required by the computer to fully boot the OS. However, frequently, this function causes alternative issues. Disable the function the following way:
- Click on the start button and type power. Enter Power and Sleep settings.
- In the newly opened window, on the right above corner enter Additional power settings.
- Then navigate to the option Change what the power buttons can do.
- Once you get to another window, you will see that Fast Startup option is disabled by default. In order to customize the settings, click on the option Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Then you will be able to remove the checkmark from the Fast startup. Apply the modification by selecting Save changes.
Check for malware
Sign-in problems may also be triggered by malware. Therefore, if the two methods provided above did not help, run a full system scan with a professional anti-malware tool. Our recommendation is Reimage. This PC optimization utility is capable of fixing various Windows problems. Besides, it has Avira Antivir scan engine, so it can also find and remove malware and virus.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: