Issue: How to fix Optional Features not Installing in Windows?
Hello. I tried to install optional features in Windows but it is not working. Is there anything I can do to solve this?
Optional features in Windows are additional features that are not included in the core installation of the operating system but can be added later. These features can include additional language packs, specific software or tools, and other components that are not essential for the basic functioning of the OS.
They are called optional because they are not necessary for the OS to run, but can be added by the user if desired. You can find and install optional features in the “Apps & features” section of the Windows Settings app. These features can include font packs, utilities like Paint and WordPad, and other software or tools.
While optional features can be useful, sometimes they may fail to install due to issues such as corrupt system files, outdated Windows versions, or incorrect configuration settings. In this guide, you will find 6 steps that should help you fix Optional Features not Installing in Windows.
Keep in mind that the manual troubleshooting process can be lengthy. You can use a maintenance tool like ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 that can automatically fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, registry issues, or clear cookies and cache. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Update Windows
- Click Start and select Settings
- Go to the Windows Update section
- Click Check for updates and wait
- Go to the Advanced options and install optional updates
- Reboot your system.
Solution 3. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Click the Windows button and select Settings
- Select System from the left pane, then scroll down on the right pane and click on Troubleshoot
- Click on Other troubleshooters
- Locate the Windows Update troubleshooter and hit the Run button
Solution 4. Reset Windows Update Components
- Open the Command Prompt utility as an administrator
- Type and execute the following commands one by one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Wait for the process to finish and restart your PC
Solution 5. Restart the Windows Module Installer Service
The Windows Module Installer service is responsible for managing the installation, modification, and removal of optional features and components in Windows. If this service is not functioning properly, it may be difficult to add or remove optional features from your system.
- Open the Services app
- Scroll down and find the Windows Module Installer service
- Right-click and select Restart
Solution 6. Restore Windows Features Using PowerShell
If you've tried all the other methods and are still unable to use or install an optional feature in Windows, you may need to try restoring the feature using PowerShell as a last resort. This can sometimes fix the problem and allow you to use the feature you need. To restore a particular feature using PowerShell, you will need to use specific commands to reinstall the feature and its dependencies.
- Open Windows PowerShell as an administrator
- Type and execute the following command:
- Copy the FeatureName of the feature you want to enable
- Type and execute the following command:
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName FEATURENAME
- Replace FEATURENAME with the feature name you copied earlier
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.