Issue: How to fix PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD on Windows?
Does anyone know what contributes to the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD and how to fix it? Sometimes this BSOD is replaced by IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR EQUAL.
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is one of the Windows Blue Screen of Deaths (BSOD). People come across it quite frequently, but the good news is that it does not fall for the group of fatal errors. The PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error indicates a problem related to page frame number (PFN). The latter is rendered by PC’s hard drive for locating all files on the physical disk.
In most of the cases, as we have already pointed out, the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD is triggered by PFN corruption. However, it may also imply problems related to RAM or device drivers.
Despite the core of the error, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD can be fixed quite easily. Usually, it’s enough to update drivers, check RAM for corruption, disable or change antivirus tools, and similar. In this post, we’ll try to provide as many applicable PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD fixes as possible.
NOTE: if you receive the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error in rotation with the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR EQUAL BSOD, please refer to this post for find out the fixes of the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
The first thing you should try is to use a reliable optimization utility. If PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error is triggered by outdated drivers or corrupted system files, a full system scan with a tool, such as Reimage, should be sufficient to fix it. If that did not help, please try these methods:
Fix 1. Check RAM and hard drive
IMPORTANT: finish and save any work that you were performing with your PC. The following method requires system’s reboot, so you may lose any unsaved files.
- Press Windows key + R.
- Type mdsched.exe in the Run and press Enter.
- Once Widows Memory Diagnostics window shows up, select whether you want to Restart now and check for problems or Restart later and check for problems the next time.
- We recommend restarting immediately to isolate the culprit of the error. The system should restart automatically.
After that, we would recommend checking the hard drive. That’s an easy procedure that requires performing such steps:
- Right-click on Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Paste the chkdsk /f command and press Enter.
- The system should perform the scan and fix detected problems automatically.
- Command Prompt may indicate the fact that your hard drive is currently in use. That’s normal because it’s a fact that you are now using your PC. Press Y and hit Enter to perform a scan during system’s reboot.
Fix 2. Update/reinstall device drivers
If RAM and hard drive check did not help to fix PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD, navigate to Device Manager and check if there’s no outdated or corrupted device drivers. Malfunctioning drivers should be marked with a yellow exclamation mark.
- Right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager.
- Expand each device category and check the drivers.
- If any of them is marked with an exclamation mark, right-click on it, and select Update driver.
If all drivers seems to be OK, try checking their configuration:
- Right-click on Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type Verifier and select Create standard settings.
- Press Next to proceed.
- Now click Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer and click Finish.
- As soon as Windows finishes the scan, restart your PC. The reboot may last longer than usually, that’s normal.
Fix 3. Enable a System Restore Point
System Restore is a feature that was introduced with Windows 10. It allows creating an image of the current system’s state, which can later be enabled in case the system crashes or encounters errors like PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.
Windows 10 users can create System Restore Points manually when needed. However, the system creates these points automatically on a regular bases, so even if you haven’t created the restore point manually, you should found one created before the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error started. To enable it, please follow these steps:
- Open Windows search and type System Restore Point.
- Select Create a restore point option.
- Click on System Restore button and hit Next.
- If the only Restore point you see on the list has been created before the system’s problems started, mark a check box saying Show more points at the bottom of the window.
- Now select the point that was created before the error occurrence and click Next.
- Now you’ll have to wait for the restore to be completed. This process may take some time.
Fix 4. Disable/uninstall antivirus
According to people’s reports, the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD may be triggered by third-party antivirus tools. Therefore, if you are using Avast, Norton, Sophos, Malwarebytes or any other third-party security tool, try to disable it or uninstall temporarily.
At the same time, disable or remove apps responsible for PC’s optimization, adblocking, and other functions related to PC’s security and maintenance.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.