Issue: How to Fix Socket Error 10060 on Windows?
I have received an error message, and I don’t know what to do about it. The error says: “Socket Error # 10060 Connection timed out.” I am not sure what might be wrong with my Internet connection.
Socket Error 10060 informs about connection problems. This error usually shows up when using proxy service to connect to the Internet, and the browser does not have enough time to load the requested page. Generally speaking, the proxy server works too slow. As a result, the connection time out error message occurs.
Sometimes it’s enough to fix Socket Error 10060 by refreshing the website that did not load or checking URL address. Indeed, mistyped address might trigger this error too. However, in some cases, it’s not enough. Solving this problem may need making modifications in Windows Registry or verifying web proxy settings.
What is more, this error might also occur when a system cannot connect to the mail server. If you are using Microsoft Outlook and received this error, you should verify email client settings. It should be enough to solve this problem and use email service normally.
How to Fix Socket Error 10060?
As you already know Socket Error 10060 is related to proxy service and in some cases with mail servers. These three methods explained below should help you to fix this error.
Method 1. Verify web proxy connection
1. Start your computer with administrative rights.
2. Open Run app from the Start, and type inetcpl.cpl. Click OK.
3. When Internet Properties window appears, go to the Connections tab. There go to the Lan settings.
4. The Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window shows up. Find the Use a proxy for your Lan box, and deselect this option. Click OK.
Socket Error 10060 should be fixed. Try to open the website that you were not able before. If this error still shows up, try the second method.
Method 2. Increase the time-out limit for the loading websites.
NOTE. This method requires making modifications in Windows Registry. In order to avoid possible damage, you should backup Registry. Backups are crucial if something go wrong.
1. Open the Registry Editor. Go to the Run app from the Start, type regedit and click OK.
2. Go to the registry subkey:
3. Click on RequestTimeoutSecs, and then on Modify button.
4. Go to Decimal where you can increase the time limit for loading the Internet sites. It is recommended to set this number to 180 and more.
5. Once you do that, click OK.
6. When all modifications are applied, reboot your computer.
After making modifications in the registry, you should also make sure that everything is stable on the system. Once you fix this issue, we suggest scanning the computer with Reimage.
Method 3. Verify Email Client Settings
If you see Socket Error 10060 when trying to send emails from Microsoft Outlook, you should confirm your client settings.
1. Start your computer with administrative rights.
2. Open Microsoft Outlook.
3. When in Outlook, go to Tools and then open Accounts.
4. In the Internet Accounts window look for the Mail tab. When you open it, you will find the list of accounts. Double-click on your account.
5. In the appeared Accounts Properties window, select Servers tab. Here you need to verify all the details.
If client settings are correct, there might be a problem with the authentication process. Thus, you need to enable that Authentication is enabled. Follow these steps to fix Socket Error 10060:
1. Repeat the first four previously explained steps in order to open Account Properties window.
2. In the Account Properties, select Server tab. Here look for the My server requires authentication box and tick it. Then, click OK.
If it is Windows Live Mail that you are using, follow the below-provided instructing steps:
- Right-click on your account and select Properties.
- Check the Advanced Tab and General Tab and make sure that the right settings are selected.
- Click on the OK/Apply button if you have applied any changes.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.