Issue: How to fix “There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter” error on Windows?
All of a sudden, my PC started having an issue with the Internet connection. When I try to open the browser or perform any other task that requires an Internet connection, I get an error “There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter.” I understand that the problem is Ethernet adapter, but I don’t know how I could fix that. Please help.
“There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter” error is the issue that, in most cases, is associated with an Internet connection. However, as it has been reported by a few Windows users, the problem can also occur under different instances, e.g. while setting up a VPN connection. However, Microsoft hasn't acknowledged the issue or released an official solution for the problem.
The error does not provide any codes that could help to isolate the culprit. While the message itself seems to be indicating the problematic point – Ethernet adapter – people have already reported that updating or reinstalling network adapter drivers did not fix “There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter” error.
Finally, you should pay attention to recent Windows OS updates also caused some issues with drivers and programs, so it is possible that “There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter” error is not so big of a deal, and your device has no serious issues. If you updated your device recently, check the Internet for the more recent update and install it because there is an opportunity that your device is completely fine, but the software flaw is causing issues.
It’s also advisable to switch your accounts, for example, from the Local Account to the Microsoft Account or vice versa when reinstalling or updating drivers. If that did not help, we provided a couple of fixes that can help. Also, do not forget to scan the system using anti-malware tools to make sure that this error is not affected by additional programs on the system.
“There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter” fix
If your Windows device is updated and the OS installed is flaw-free the only thing you need to do before fixing the issue is scanning the system for malware damage with tools like Reimage. The system optimizer indicates any flaws, virus damage or existing programs on the device. You can remove possible threats and then follow our guidelines.
This video will provide you with required information:
Update Network Adapters to get rid of “There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter” error
- Right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager.
- Expand the Network adapters section.
- Click on your Network Adapter and select Update Driver Software.
- Wait for the drivers to be updated and check if the error “There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter” has been fixed. If it didn’t, try re-installing the driver.
- Re-open Device Manager and expand the Network Adapter section.
- Click on your network adapter and select Uninstall.
- After that, reboot your PC.
- When the system reboots, re-open Device Manager and click Action.
- Select Scan for hardware changes. When the scan is completed, opt for the system to install missing drivers automatically. If the process fails, navigate to the driver’s manufacturer website and download the latest driver manually.
Enter the Network & Internet settings category
- Press Windows key + I and open Network & Internet.
- Open Status tab on the left pane and scroll down until you see a link Network Reset.
- Click on Network reset link. After that, you should receive the following notification:
“This will remove then reinstall all your network adapters, and set other networking components back to their original settings. You might need to reinstall other networking software afterwards, such as VPN client software or virtual switches.”
- If you agree with that, click Reset now button.
- Click Yes on the confirmation window and wait for the Network reset to be completed.
Check the Dependency Services of the WLAN AutoConfig
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
- Find the WLAN AutoConfig service and click on the Dependencies tab.
- Check what services are listed under WLAN AutoConfig service and make sure that the startup type of them all is Automatic.
- If they are not, make sure to set their Startup type to Automatic.
- After that, reboot your PC.
Reset the Winsock entries and TCP/IP stack to troubleshoot the “There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter” issue
- Press Windows Key + X together and select Command Prompt with administrators rights
- Type the following commands and press Enter after each one:
netsh winsock reset catalog (reset winsock entries)
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (reset TCP/IP stack)
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.