Issue: How to fix Windows Defender Engine Unavailable error?
Hello. When I try to install the latest Windows security updates I receive an error and it shows that Windows Defender Engine is unavailable. How do I fix this?
Windows Defender or Microsoft Defender Antivirus is an anti-malware component of Microsoft Windows. It provides some basic functions when it comes to operating system security. It can warn users about malware infections and other cybersecurity threats.
When Windows Defender first came out, it only protected users from spyware, so Microsoft has come a long way. People can now feel safe when using Windows without third-party antivirus software. However, people have to install the latest security updates and patches to keep the security as strong as possible.
That is not always successful. Recently, some users reported receiving an error when trying to install the Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus. People also say that the Windows Defender Engine is shown as Unavailable, leaving them worried about being exposed to various threats.
While it is unknown what exactly could cause the Windows Defender Engine Unavailable error, we prepared 3 steps that could help you fix it and install the needed updates. Troubleshooting can become a lengthy process, so you can also use a maintenance tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the instructions below.
Solution 1. Manually Install Security Intelligence Updates
- Download the updates from the official Microsoft website
- Open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions
Solution 2. Change Registry Key Values
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run box
- Type Regedit and press Enter
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows Defender
- Change both DisableAntiSpyware and DisableAntiVirus values to 0 by double-clicking
- If the keys are not showing, right-click on an empty space, select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Name the key DisableAntiSpyware and set the value to 0
- Do the same for DisableAntiVirus also
Solution 3. Perform a Repair Upgrade
- Download the Windows 10 ISO file from the official Microsoft website
- If you agree to the license terms, select Accept
- On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC and then select Next
- Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10
- In Select which media you want to use, Select ISO file then click Next
- Select the download location then click Save
- Windows 10 ISO file will be downloaded
- Right-click Windows 10 ISO file and click Mount
- Open Setup.exe
- To get important updates, select Download and install updates
- Ensure that Keep personal files and applications is checked
- Click on Install to start the upgrade
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.