Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0x80070308?
I was trying to install the newest update for Windows 10 – 22H2, and the process was broken off by an error 0x80070308. Could you please offer some solutions for this – I've been trying to update for several days now without success.
Windows has been operated as a service since the release of Windows 10 in 2015, and it's still the case today. All legitimate software users with a valid license are entitled to regular updates, including feature gain, overall quality increases, cumulative security enhancements, and out-of-band updates. These include not just security patching but also new user interface iterations and features intended to enhance the Windows user experience.
Microsoft releases all updates on “Patch Tuesday,” which occurs on the second Tuesday of every month, even though out-of-band updates can be distributed at any time. Unfortunately, not all updates always reach users, as Windows update errors such as 0x80070308 may prevent this process from happening.
While this error code was encountered for many years when dealing with various updates, many people have recently reported when trying to install the 22H2 update on Windows 10 machines. This major upgrade was released in the summer of 2022 and promised multiple improvements to various system features.
When dealing with this update, users also reported receiving 0x800f0922 error too, or a combination of the two. That being said, the 0x80070308 error can occur under any other circumstances when downloading regular updates such as KB5017308 or KB5017380.
There could be numerous reasons for the error to show up, including compatibility issues with installed applications (in particular, third-party security software), corrupted system files, bugged Windows services, and so on.
Before proceeding with manual steps to fix the 0x80070308 error, we recommend you attempt to resolve the issue automatically with RestoroMac Washing Machine X9. It can check the system for corruption and repair the damage, remove installed malware, clear web caches and other junk files, and fix various other common issues that lead to BSODs, errors, crashes, etc.
Solution 1. Disable third-party antivirus
When it comes to resolving Windows update installation issues, there are several factors that apply to most cases. This is why, if you have any third-party security software installed on your device, we recommend uninstalling or disabling it and then trying to run an update process once more.
The kernel level changes made by such an app may cause Windows to behave differently, affecting how it responds to various operations and software/update installations. You can turn off real-time protection or remove the program for a short period of time.
Solution 2. Use the troubleshooter
A troubleshooter is a built-in tool that could help you resolve Windows update issues.
- Type Troubleshoot in Windows search and hit Enter
- Click Additional troubleshooters on the right
- Scroll down to find Windows update and click it
- Click Run the troubleshooter
- Apply the suggested fixes and restart your device.
Solution 3. Run SFC and DISM
System file corruption can be the main reason why update files can't be implemented on the device. To repair damaged system files, you can run several commands via the elevated Command Prompt:
- Open Command Promot as administrator as explained above
- Paste the following command into the new window:
- Press Enter and wait till the scan is finished
- Once done, run this set of commands, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Restart your PC.
Solution 4. Try Media Creation Tool
You could use a special tool designed by Microsoft for the update process, which helped many users to fix the 0x80070308 error.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download Windows 10 installation media (Windows 11 version)
- Double-click the installer, select Yes when UAC shows up, and agree to the terms
- Select Upgrade this PC now and click Next
- Windows will start downloading the needed files
- Agree to terms once again and click Next
- Before installing, make sure that you are happy with your choices ( you can click Change what to keep option if not)
- Click Install to begin the upgrade process.
Solution 5. Reset Windows Update components
- Type cmd in Windows search
- Right-click on Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator
- Type each of these command lines, pressing Enter every time (wait till the command is fully executed):
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*”
rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Restart your device and attempt to download the update once more.
Solution 6. Install the update manually
- Type in Update in Windows search box and hit Enter
- Click View Update History on the right side of the window
- From the list of updates, note the KB number of the one that failed to be installed due to the error
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog
- Type in the KB number and click Search
- Pick the version that is compatible with your operating system and select Download
- Proceed with on-screen guidelines and restart your computer once done.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.
- ^ Shaant Minhas. What is Windows Patch Tuesday, and why is it important?. ONMSFT. Microsoft-centric news and information.
- ^ Windows service. Wikipedia. The free encyclopedia.
- ^ Chris Hoffman. Everything You Need To Know About the Blue Screen of Death. How-to Geek. Site that explains technology.