Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0xc0000005?
Hi, I have been trying to update my Windows to the latest version (22H2) but to no avail – I'm getting a 0xc0000005 error every time. I have run the troubleshooter, but I still receive this error. Please help me.
Windows updates are releases of new features, security patches, and bug fixes for the Windows operating system. They are designed to improve the performance and security of the system and are released on a regular basis by Microsoft.
It is important to keep your system up-to-date by regularly checking for and installing these updates. Some updates may require a computer restart to take effect. Users can configure windows updates to happen automatically or notify the user before downloading. Unfortunately, not all updates can reach users due to update errors such as 0xc0000005.
Regardless of whether users have updates set to manual or automatic, they might experience the error at any time when the process is initiated. With the release of the major Windows patch known as 22H2, many users experienced problems with upgrading and received errors such as 0xc0000005, 0x800704bd, 0x800705b9, 0x800701b1, and many others.
Windows update errors such as 0xc0000005 can occur for a variety of reasons, including issues with internet connectivity, conflicts with other software or hardware, and problems with the Windows update service itself. Sometimes, these errors can be caused by malware or other security threats that have compromised the system.
Other times, they may be due to outdated or corrupt drivers or system files. Additionally, some users may experience errors if they have limited storage space on their device or if their version of Windows is no longer supported.
It is worth noting that the 0xc0000005 error code is not unique and can occur under different circumstances, for example, when trying to open applications or, although we will focus on resolving it when dealing with Windows updates this time.
1. Run the troubleshooter
We recommend starting with the built-in troubleshooter if you haven't done so yet:
- Type in Troubleshoot in Windows search and hit Enter.
- Select Additional Troubleshooters/Other troubleshooters option.
- Locate Windows Update and click Run/Run the troubleshooter.
- As soon as the scan finishes, apply the recommended fixes.
2. Try SFC and DISM commands
Try to resolve issues related to system file corruption using commands via an elevated Command Prompt:
- Type cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator.
- User Account Control (UAC) will ask if you want to make changes – click Yes.
- Now copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter every time:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Close down the Command Prompt and reboot your PC.
3. Clean disk
Make sure you have enough disk space on your (C:) drive:
- Type Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select your main drive (C: by default).
- Click Clean up system files and select your main drive again.
- Select the largest sections you'd like to remove, for example, Temporary Internet Files, Windows Update Cleanup, Delivery, and Optimization Files
- Click OK, and Windows will begin the disk cleanup process.
4. Check relevant services
Restarting or changing the startup type of Windows update and BITS services could help you resolve the situation:
- Type in Services in the Windows search field and hit Enter.
- Scroll down to find Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).
- If it is already running, right-click and select Restart.
- If the service is not running, double-click it, and, under the Startup type, select Automatic from the drop-down menu.
- Click Start, Apply, and OK.
- Repeat this process with the Windows Update service.
5. Employ Media Creation tool
Disconnect all unnecessary peripherals, such as printers or scanners, from your system and disable a third-party antivirus, if applicable. Then, proceed with the following:
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download Windows 10 installation media (Windows 11 version).
- Double-click the installer, select Yes when UAC shows up, and agree to the terms.
- Select Upgrade this PC now and click Next.
- Windows will start downloading the needed files.
- Agree to terms once again and click Next.
- Before installing, make sure that you are happy with your choices ( you can click Change what to keep option if not).
- Click Install to begin the upgrade process.
6. Install the update manually
If you can't get the update to install automatically due to the 0xc0000005 error, you can use the manual method instead:
- Type in Update in Windows search box and hit Enter.
- Click View Update History on the right side of the window.
- From the list of updates, note the KB number of the one that failed to be installed due to the error.
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Type in the KB number and click Search or hit Enter on your keyboard.
- Select the version that is compatible with your operating system and click Download.
- Proceed with on-screen instructions and restart your computer as necessary.
7. Reset the internet connection
Internet connectivity issues may also be the cause of Windows update errors.
- Open Command Prompt as administrator once again.
- Copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
netsh winsock reset
- Restart your device.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.