Issue: How to fix Windows upgrade error 0x8007007f?
Hello. I tried to upgrade my PC to Windows 11 but I keep receiving the “Something went wrong. Select try again and if that doesn’t work contact Microsoft support for help. Error code 0x8007007f” message. Is there a way to fix this?
Windows upgrade error 0x8007007f is a common problem encountered by Windows users when attempting to upgrade to Windows 11. This error can be caused by a number of factors, including out-of-date or incompatible drivers, software conflicts, corrupted system files, or a lack of disk space.
Drivers that are outdated or incompatible with the new version of Windows can cause the error 0x8007007f. This error can also be caused by software conflicts, in which certain applications or programs interfere with the upgrade process. Corrupted system files can also cause this error, and insufficient disk space can prevent the upgrade from succeeding.
This issue can have a significant impact on users because they will be unable to access Windows 11's new features, improvements, and security enhancements. Furthermore, it can cause frustration and waste valuable time because users may need to perform multiple troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem. In some cases, attempting to resolve the problem without proper guidance or backup can result in data loss.
Users can try updating drivers, disabling antivirus software, running system file checker (SFC), cleaning up disk space, resetting Windows update components, or performing a clean installation of Windows 11 to resolve this issue. In this guide, you will find 6 steps that should help you do this. You can also try using a system repair tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9. It can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Run the Installer as Administrator
- Locate the Installation assistant setup on your computer.
- Right-click on the Installation assistant setup icon.
- Select Run as administrator from the context menu that appears.
- Wait for the Installation assistant setup to launch.
- Follow the prompts to proceed with the installation.
Solution 3. Update Drivers
Outdated drivers could be the cause of the error. In this case, you can fix it automatically by using DriverFix, which will scan your PC for missing and out-of-date device drivers. Or you can update them manually:
- Open Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Click on Windows Update.
- Click the Check for updates button.
- Click the View optional updates option.
- Click the Driver updates tab.
- Select the driver you want to update.
- Click the Download and install button.
If the View optional updates link is not available after checking for updates, then Windows Update does not have any new drivers or any updates for other products at that particular time.
Solution 4. Enable User Account Control
- Click on the Start button.
- Type control in the search box.
- Press Enter.
- Once the Control Panel opens up, click on User Accounts.
- From the right pane of the next window, select Change User Account Control settings.
- Drag the slider to Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (default).
- Click OK.
- When the User Account Control (UAC) prompt appears, select Yes.
- Open the installer file.
- Click Yes when the User Account Control dialog appears.
- Run the installation.
Solution 5. Run Disk Cleanup
If you are trying to install Windows on a drive that has low disk space, the installation will fail. You must check the free space on your drive before proceeding. There should a minimum of 30 GB of space.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Type cleanmgr in the search box.
- Press Enter.
- Select the drive (C:) and click OK on the pop-up.
- On the next window, click on Clean up system files.
- Again, choose drive (C:).
- Click on OK.
- When the Disk Cleanup for (C:) window appears, check all the options in the Files to delete section.
- Click OK.
- Confirm by selecting Delete files.
- Now start installing freshly and the issue will no longer occur.
Solution 6. Uninstall Third-Party Security Software
A third-party antivirus program may be the reason why Windows 11 installation fails. Sometimes security software mistakenly blocks safe downloads.
- Go to Apps & Features.
- Find the security program, click on it, and choose Uninstall.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.