Issue: How to fix File Explorer tabs missing in Windows 11?
Hello, I've heard that in Windows 11 you can now have File Explorer tabs but I simply can't see them – they are not available for me. Please advise on how can retrieve them. Thanks.
Microsoft has released the first feature update for Windows 11 version 22H2, also known as the 2022 Update in October. This update, delivered through a cumulative update for Windows 11, introduces a range of new features, including the highly anticipated File Explorer tabs. This feature has been teased by Microsoft for years and is now finally available to to the broad public with Windows 11.
This new feature looks and feels like tabs on any modern web browser and allows users to navigate through several different folders without having several windows opened at the same time, which makes this feature an extremely welcome addition to any user. File Explorer tabs should be available to everyone who installs the KB5019509 update.
If you are dealing with corrupted system files, we highly recommend running a PC repair utility FortectMac Washing Machine X9. It can find the damaged system components and replace them with brand new ones without having to reinstall the operating system.
In some cases, the only way to resolve missing tabs in File Explorer is by using the bootable installation media and using the Upgrade option in the process. We provide more details below.
Method 1. Make sure all Windows updates are installed
As mentioned, only users why have the most recent update installed that includes the feature can access File Explorer tabs. You might have missed the update or it might have failed before. If that's the case, running Windows update should resolve the situation:
- Click Start and select Settings
- Go to the Windows Update section
- Click Check for updates and wait
- Go to the Advanced options and install optional updates
- Reboot your system.
Method 2. Uninstall the most recent update
You can try uninstalling the most recent update that did not include the desired features and then installing it again. Note that this option is only available if Windows saved the previous version files.
- Open Settings and go to Windows Update
- Select Update history and pick Uninstall updates
- In Control Panel, make sure you sort all the updates by date
- Select the KB5019509 update and click Uninstall at the top
- Follow on-screen instructions to finalize the process
- Restart Windows and then initiate the update process once more.
Method 3. Use the in-place upgrade tool
If the solutions above are not working for you, you can use Windows ISO to install all the latest Windows features. For that, you need to download the special tool from the official Microsoft website. Before proceeding, make sure you temporarily disable or uninstall a third-party antivirus and disconnect any unnecessary peripherals such as printers, scanners, or phones (leave the mouse and keyboard, of course).
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download the Windows installation media
- Double-click the installer and select Yes when UAC shows up
- Agree to the terms and click Next
- Select Upgrade this PC now and select Next
- Windows will now download all the necessary files – it might take sometime
- Agree to terms once again and click Next
- Before installing, make sure that you are happy with your choices (otherwise, you can click Change what to keep option)
- Click Install to begin the upgrade process.
Other related topics:
- File Explorer takes too long to open a directory
- File Explorer lagging
- How to enable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.