Issue: How to Fix Webcam Error Code 0xA00F4243(0xC00D3704) on Windows?
“Close Other Apps. It looks like another app is using a camera already.” That’s the error message, which shows up all the time when I try to take a photo or video using the inbuilt camera on my laptop. The message reports the error code 0xA00F4243(0xC00D3704). Any ideas?
“Close Other Apps. It looks like another app is using a camera already. If you need it, here’s the error code: 0xA00F4243(0xC00D3704)” error message is typically encountered by people who are using Windows 10 OS running on laptops with an inbuilt camera.
The message itself is quite explicit as it indicates the possible culprit of the problem – another application. Therefore, it would be practical to open Task Manager and check what applications are currently running on the system. In case a tool that requires Camera is running, end its task and check if that helps.
Another solution for this camera malfunctioning would be a clean boot of the system. It would help to isolate the problematic application and, furthermore, repair it. The “another app” may not necessarily refer to Skype, Messenger, or another legitimate application that uses Camera.
It may turn out that the another app to which the 0xA00F4243(0xC00D3704) error message points out is a malicious cyber infection, for example, Trojan, Worm or adware. To check that, you should run a scan with Reimage or another powerful anti-malware tool.
If, however, the “another app is using a camera already” error does not seem to be related to additional software, the culprit may be the webcam’s drivers or its settings. Don’t worry if you are not a tech-savvy Windows user. The instructions on how to fix “another app is using a camera” error are provided down below.
Isolate the application that is causing “Camera is in use by another app” error
Methods 1. Run Windows App Troubleshooter
To check if any of Windows apps are damaged, run Windows App Troubleshooter. Click on this link and follow the on-screen instructions.
Method 2. Check processes on Task Manager
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc or right-click empty space on the toolbar.
- Open “Task Manager” and go to the “Processes” tab.
- Carefully analyze what programs are currently running in the background of the system.
- If you found an app that uses Camera, for example, Skype running in the background, click it, and select “End Task.”
Method 3. Try a Clean Boot
- Click “Windows key” and type msconfig.
- Click “System Configuration” and open “Services” tab.
- Mark “Hide all Microsoft services” box and select “Disable all.”
- Open “Startup” tab and click “Open Task Manager.”
- Click on each startup item and select “Disable.”
- Close Task Manager and click “OK” on the System Configuration window.
- Reboot the system.
If Clean Boot helped to fix 0xA00F4243(0xC00D3704) error, we would recommend you to enable apps one by one. After each enabled app, check if the Camera is working. This way, you will isolate the problematic application.
Fix the Camera app itself
Method 1. Reset your webcam
- Click Windows key + I to open “Settings.”
- Select “App and Features.”
- Locate Camera and click it.
- Select “Advanced options” and then “Reset.”
- Reboot the PC.
Method 2. Update webcam’s drivers
- Right-click on Windows key and select “Device Manager.”
- Expand “Imaging devices” and right-click on your system webcam entry.
- Select the “Update Driver Software” option.
- Then click on “Browse my computer for software driver” option.
- Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer” option.
- If not checked, check the “Show compatible hardware” option.
- Select USB Video Device and click “Next.”
- The system will automatically update/install the driver. Once done, close Device Manager.
- Reboot the system.
Method 3. Check privacy settings
- Press Windows key + I to open “Settings.”
- Go to the “Privacy” category and select the “Camera option.”
- Make sure that the “Let apps use my camera” option is turned on.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: