Issue: How to fix Windows 10 stuck at “Choose your keyboard layout” screen?
I've upgraded to Windows 10, but apparently, the process did not succeed as I received an error attempting_execut_on_nonexecute_memory, which was followed by a forced system restart.
At boot, the system got stuck at “choose your keyboard layout screen” screen. I have no idea what should I do. Need your help ASAP!
“Choose your keyboard layout” screen should not be dubbed as an error. It's a windows screen, which usually occurs during the Windows upgrade process when the system restarts. The PC's has to select the keyboard layout from a list of other setup options, which is normal.
Nevertheless, many Windows users reported that they got stuck at “Choose your keyboard layout” screen after the installation of Windows 10 upgrade to Creators Update or Fall Creators Update.
The problem is that the “Choose your keyboard layout” screen error renders the mouse or keyboard useless, which is why the PC's user cannot perform any tasks with the PC.
More often than not, this problem is triggered by corrupted Windows 10 upgrade files. This does not mean that the upgrade itself is corrupted, but rather some of its files might get wrong during download or installation process. Another prevalent reason of the Windows 10 upgrade stuck at “Choose your keyboard layout” screen is a driver issue as one of the device drivers (usually Universal Serial Bus controllers) may go down or encounter compatibility problems while upgrading.
Fix Windows 10 stuck at “Choose your keyboard layout” screen
When your screen gets stuck at “Choose your keyboard layout” screen, but a mouse, keyboard, and other input devices won't work, the situation seems to be extremely difficult. Nevertheless, there's a way out.
Microsoft must be aware of the “Choose your keyboard layout” screen bug as hundreds or thousands of people reported it on the official Microsoft's forum. However, up until now there are no official fixes provided, but many people reported that they managed to fix using this method:
- First of all, you need an alternative PC that you could use for creation of bootable Windows 10 installation drive.
- Once you have access to a working PC, prepare a USB stick that is empty and has at least 8 GB of free space.
- Now navigate to the official Microsoft's website and download Windows 10 ISO file.
- When the ISO file is downloaded to the system, plug-in the USB drive and transfer the file to it. You can find more information on how to create a bootable Windows 10 USB drive here.
- When you have a bootable USB with Windows 10 installation in hand, plug it into your PC and restart it.
- Select the Recovery Menu on the Choose an option screen and click Troubleshoot.
- Now under Advanced Options menu select Command Prompt.
- Copy and paste the following commands in the Command Prompt window and press Enter:
chkdsk c: /f
bcdboot c:\\windows /s c:
- When Command Prompt executes all the commands, reboot your PC and check if they fixed the “Choose your keyboard layout” error.
In case this method did not work, you can try boot into Safe Mode with Networking:
- Reboot Windows for several times in a row. Failed reboots will start an Automatic Repair.
- In the Automatic Repair Window, select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options.
- Then open Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Now click F5 or 5 to access Safe Mode with Networking.
- Once you access the desktop, right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager.
- Check each category of drivers to find out if any of them are malfunctioning. Problematic drives are usually marked with a yellow exclamation mark.
- If none of them are labeled as outdated or corrupted, then we would strongly recommend updating all Universal Serial Bus controllers.
The ultimate solution for the stuck “Choose your keyboard layout” screen is a fresh Windows 10 install.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: